Audio Interface and AD/DA converter Options...???

Chew_Bear

I don't understand the 'need' or theory behind having a AD/DA converter...when your audio interface already has a AD/DA converter already.

1. Is it possible to use an AD/DA converter unit "solely" in the place of a 'audio interface' and still be able to 'record' sounds/instruments into your computer/DAW...???

If that's not possible and I do "need" a audio interface...

2. Are you supposed to get a 'alright' audio interface just for a "digital connection"....But than be able to 'splurge' on a high end AD/DA converter for the higher quality conversion rate and theoretically "bypass" the audio interface's converter...thereby giving you the "best" possible signal path right...???

If I want to go with this route...

1. What kind/brand of audio interfaces out there are better for this kind of setup...?

2. I would need to look for a audio interface that has a "digital in" right...?

3. Am I supposed to be looking for ADAT, SPDIF or AES/EBU for my digital connection between the AD/DA unit and my audio interface...??

I don't understand the 'need' or theory behind having a AD/DA converter...when your audio interface already has a AD/DA converter already.

an interface is a combination of preamp and convertors and may be spec'd on the low end of any one of those

stand-alone ad's and da's are optimised for just that one job and are generally an order of magnitude better than what is found in interface

1. Is it possible to use an AD/DA converter unit "solely" in the place of a 'audio interface' and still be able to 'record' sounds/instruments into your computer/DAW...???

If that's not possible and I do "need" a audio interface...

yes; it is how most studios work these days - lots of investment in the convertors to provide near zero latency

2. Are you supposed to get a 'alright' audio interface just for a "digital connection"....But than be able to 'splurge' on a high end AD/DA converter for the higher quality conversion rate and theoretically "bypass" the audio interface's converter...thereby giving you the "best" possible signal path right...???

no; you would not use the interface and the convertors in that fashion - you would be better advised to get a few excellent stand-alone preamps that feed your ad convertors. You would send the output of your DA's to your monitoring setup (amplifiers and passive monitors or powered monitors)

If I want to go with this route...

1. What kind/brand of audio interfaces out there are better for this kind of setup...?

prism

rme

2. I would need to look for a audio interface that has a "digital in" right...?

no

3. Am I supposed to be looking for ADAT, SPDIF or AES/EBU for my digital connection between the AD/DA unit and my audio interface...??

no

you only need SPDIF input on your soundcard if you have gear that outputs SPDIF. If your soundcard has weak-sounding AD converters and you get a better standalone set of converters with SPDIF output, you could send that SPDIF output to your soundcard's SPDIF input. But most people don't do that these days. They just get a high quality soundcard that already has good converters and they are done with it.

And I think it should be mentioned that unless you have great monitors (we're talking about at least a few grand here), and similarly great room treatment, you're not gonna hear any difference between converters (there simply aren't really any super crappy converters any more, despite what some high-end guys might say).

Back