2x2 USB interface for $250-350

picur85

Hi!

I would like to start recording vocals and instruments and I'm in search for an interface but I don't need more than 2 ins and 2 outs. I use a PC and I don't want to mess around with Firewire expansion cards that might not have the right chipsets or have other compatibility issues, so it should be USB.

I am reading countless reviews about the entry-level products of the popular brands like Focusrite, Steinberg, Presonus etc. that cost around $150. However, each has some bad reviews and many people suggest that I should spend more for better quality, around $250-300. The problem is that what I find in that price range are the bigger versions of these entry-level interfaces. Doesn't that mean that they are more expensive only because they have more ins and outs but the mic pres and converters are of the same quality as in the smaller ones?

The next step above the $150 2-channel interfaces I found is the Tascam UH-7000 for $600 but that is a bit pricey. Are there really no 2x2 interfaces for around $300?

I frankly think the entry-level stuff is perfectly fine. They're popular products and thus there are going to be some negative reviews (because of the sheer volume of those products in use), but that doesn't really mean much. I don't think there's anything substantially better until, well, about that $500-600 mark. The Focusrite Forte might be an option as well; that Tascam looks nice but I can't say I've even heard about that particular unit before.

(24 bit conversion rate 96khz)

I think it should also be pointed out that these numbers tell absolutely f*ck all about the quality of the conversion. 24bit/96Khz is pretty normal for just about any converter nowadays, but there's a difference on how well they do it.

I get the impression its preamps are a little heavy but one interface I like to ponder is the Motu.

The Motu has great reviews and is a little pricey.

One thing you might like is to get like a no frills no gills interface like m audio fast track. Its a great performer without excess.

It is very important on the preamps an interface has so choose wisely.

If the Motu has preamps you like, I suggest you look into it. It has great reviews and it looks outstanding also.

If you like Kontakt and Ni maybe look into Avid duo.

Back