Choosing a Sub: Yamaha HS8S vs. KRK 10S?

Andy Grewal

Hey guys,

It's come that time where I need to get a sub for my home studio, and wanted some input from those who have either of these two.

I'm running a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors, which is why I was also leaning towards getting the HS8S, since it'll keep the same brand and I've read that it has a much tighter, and that sound despite being only on 8" sub, it goes down to 22hz. On the other hand, the KRK 10S in a bigger sub, a little cheaper than the Yamaha, and has a bypass foot switch, but only goes down to 30 something hz.

This is my dilemma, and would love it if those of you who have more experience with these to help me out. Also, the room I'm using isn't treated acoustically at the moment, and is small (10' x 11.4'). Is there an issue with using different brands? Since I already have 8" monitors, would I need sub that is larger than 8" or does it really even matter? Which one do you think delivers a better, honest representation? (I know we're talking about sub frequencies here, but still).

Thanks in advance everyone!

it's a no-brainer really get the one designed to go with what you already have: Yamaha HS8S

Back