Cannot decide on new MIDI Keyboard controller.

SamHM

Hi all,

I apologise if this is the wrong place for this post but I am new to FP's.

As above, I am upgrading my current MIDI keyboard (AKAI MPK mini) to a new larger more integrated controller.

My main requirements for the controller are as follows;

- Very good DAW integration (Mainly Logic)
- Good support of 3rd party plugins
- Preferably (but not essential if DAW integration is on point and/or scribble strips are present) an on board screen or UI as I like to work on the keyboard as much as possible without the use of the computer screen
- I would like as many pads as possible but if the best option is for a separate pad controller I am happy to get the two (if this is the case any suggestions for good (combinations)
- I like heavy keys so weighted or at the very least semi-weighted is preerred
- minimum 49 key's (61/88 preferably)

nice to haves but not essential:

- usb powered
- good software/plug-in pack free with hardware

the hardware i am currently looking at and struggling to choose between are as follows;

Akai Pro Advance 49
NI Komplete Control
Nektar Panorama

I am leaning more towards the Akai at the moment mainly due to its 3rd part Plug-in integration (albeit the pads are not really in the best location for me and I would like a few more if I'm being honest) but at the same time I am a big fan of NI Plug-ins so the KC makes more sense there especially with the likes of Komplete 11 but obviously also lacks the pads (if the KC is the preferred choice I am not against paring it up with the Macshine Jam). From what I have seen the Panorama has exceptional DAW integration and a good Pad layout but plug-in integration is not on the same level as the Akai and KC (i may be wrong thats just what i have heard/read).

What do you guys think, I am open to any other suggestions also.

for reference I am mainly a DnB/Dubstep producer but also play a bit with house garage and grime.

I am using Logic Pro X on a MacBook Pro 2014 Retina.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Back