Can Anyone Help Me Critique This Setup .

undefeatleak

I've Been Producing Music Electronically for a while now so I trust myself to finally step up and by some pretty decent equipment. This Is the setup I came up with because I plan to produce a lot of experimental , alternative , and regular hip-hop and rap.Yamaha Hs80 - Because I hear for the price they give a good flat response ?Focusrite scarlett 2i2- I wont need many inputsNeumann TLM 102- I hear it has a nice tone to it and sibilance which i likePresonus Studio Channel Tube Channel Strip- So I will have the option of a warm sound. What would guys rate it ?ART Pro VLA II Tube Compressor- To achieve a nice even steady vocal . But will I really need it if I already have the Presonus studio channel tube channell stripAnd then for acoustics some auralex pads

Please allow me to quote my earlier post today about studio monitors;
It's important to look at all factors when choosing studio monitors. Yes - the KRK's will definitely be a good choice, however, you do need to remember that the KRK's aren't exactly the flattest on the market. They do color the sound quite a bit, which will make your decision in whether or not to EQ an instrument, turn up the volume etc. etc. much harder. I recently got my first pair of studio monitors and I decided to go with the Yamaha HS8, which is the new series from Yamaha.

The Yamaha HS8 is much more flat than the KRK's in general (talking about the "Rokits", since I heard the VXT range should be much more flat and precise), however, flat doesn't exactly mean better. It's up to your personal preference whether you'd like a really sweet tight mix, or, if you would feel more joy by just producing and not caring much about mixdown, mastering and such. There is no right or wrong here, it's simply based on preference.

I'm glad that I went with Yamaha's, as I think I would have missed a big part of the mixing and mastering area if I had went with the KRK's instead. To me, the KRK's do seem to sound a little boxy, however other individuals might experience them in another way. Nowadays it's just very important that your overall sound design, mixing and EQing is perfect, therefore I chose to go with the Yammies.

Room size, acoustics and such things also play a huge part in which size monitors you should go with, aswell as which types. Go listen to a few different monitors in a music store - you'd get much more out of it by going that way, instead of buying something based on others opinions.

I'd like to add, that the Scarlett 2i2 is an amazing soundcard. I bought it aside with the Yamaha HS8 and I can't say one bad thing about it. Usually you won't need many inputs (as you said yourself) and the Scarlett 2i2 doesn't have that many inputs, but it has enough :cool:

Auralex pads are good if your monitors are going to be positioned on a wooden desk or so, as the desk usually produce a lot of vibrations because of the bass. I think the best thing would be to get a pair of monitor stands, as these seperate your speakers/monitors from your desk and makes it easier to position them in ear-height. The stands can be bought many places - Thomann Cyberstore for example, where you get a pair for under 150 dollars!

Good luck with the studio man!

Last edited:
Thnx Bro. Now all I need is advice on those pre amps and compressor

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Back