MPK49 vs. MM6

A6C3E

im looking to delve into the production aspect of the business and im leaning towards these two boards. the mpk49 has 12 drum pads which i think are a good look if you like akai equipment. however the mm6 sounds really reach out and grab you..... help me with this one, somebody...anybody...

ace_63_muscian@yahoo.com

One's a keyboard midi controller, and one's a keyboard w/sounds and a sequencer.

It ultimately boils down to which has more features you'll utilize.

I'd buy the MM6 before I put the money into an MPK49, but I'd buy an Axion or Keystation before either and save the extra money for expanding my software collection.

do you have a DAW? if you do, go with the MPK49 IMO. even if you dont have a DAW, I have heard a lot of bad thing about the mm6 sequencer. If you want the sounds, look into a motif rack, its more expensive but probably a better value.

so the real questions are

do you have a DAW, if so, what
do you want sounds, or just a midi controller

here is a user review from zzounds of the MM6 (keep in mind this is a particularly negative review, however it does bring up some good issues):

Feature:
Some of the functions sounds good like layers,cutoff,reverb,phaser,flanger and etc.But it is missing the most basic sequencer functions you can't set the measures or quantization,swing,sections

Quality:
For the price it could of been alot better than a over-priced usb 61-midi controller that doesn't automap or have any drivers to map the surface that happens to have sounds.

Value:
I was mad after like hour of playing it.

Sound:
Its has good sounds but the patch banks are small.It isn't a mini motif tho my friend has one and its a beast,but for somebody that doesn't want to edit your voices the mm6 for you.The TRS 1/4 outputs sounds like its less than 16-bits

Ease of Use:
Well the manual is only about 20 or 30 pages its pretty easy

Support:
Now the support was great from yamaha and steinberg

Last edited:
neithe can stand alone though, right? both needs a DAW? cubase or Fl? sequence is better than midi? i've been more so of a co-producer and songwriter than being behind the boards... preciate your input.

i know a few producers who sold or traded their mpc's for the mpk49! i looks to me like an mpc with keys the only hang up is it has no sounds, they all come from the computer 9fl, reasons, cubase etc..) will i be able to load jamies drum kits and strings, bass via usb plug ins?

i know producers who have sold or traded their mpc for a mpk49!
can you upload drum kits, strings and bass line from other midi devices?

YOu can control other midi modules/gear with a MPK49 and you can also use it within whatever DAW (like Fruity Loops) to play synths and plug-ins, you can use the pads just like a MPC with the FPC plug-in that's free w/ FL, you can assign anything you want to the sliders/knobs... its a badass midi controller... I have a Novation Remote SL 61 and I'd much rather have a MPK. And the new Axiom Pros still have that weak ass build quality..

you right i've done my homework on those synths and they seem like a waste of money and studio space... im just looking to create a melody and drum pattern on the fly... i hear beats in my head all the time, i just sound em out... my creative process may be different from others.. thanks for all the great input!

cards up, all trust

Nu Innovation
Ep Album

9/21/09

myspace.com/highercardent63

do you use gay computer synthey sounds or do you like organic sounds of samples????

if you use synth then go with the mm6.

if you like to have soulful organic sounding sample beats go with the mpk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a used Fantom X6. More drumpads, better synth engine, more wave memory than either one of those, good pc integration, color screen all for maybe 50-100 bucks more than a new MM6.
Axentrik, please don't make this into a sampling vs. synthesis argument.

do you use gay computer synthey sounds or do you like organic sounds of samples????

if you use synth then go with the mm6.

if you like to have soulful organic sounding sample beats go with the mpk.

Wow, what a retarded response. The MPK is just a midi controller. There's nothing "organic" or "soulful" about it. You can MAKE organic, soulful-sounding music with a MPK, but you can also make it on a MM6.

synths are not soulful. and as far as im aware the mm6 is a synth not a sampler.

Well you're wrong on two counts. The MM6 is not a synth, it's a ROMpler. And the synthesizer is possibly THE MOST soulful instrument there is, because with good programming you can make a synth sound like virtually anything you want, and with analog synths, the hands on faders and knobs make it easy to put a lot of expression and SOUL into what you play.

Don't let personal bias make you look like a moron in the future.

doesnt change the fact that synths are gay and no matter how much you tweak them they will never sound organic or soulful.

and not having the ability to sample your own sounds and only use and edit whats preloaded on rom chips fails. what happens when you hear a dope snare on a record and your like "damm wish i could take that and put it in my own drum pattern/arrangement"?

with the mpk you can use VST's if you are into that computerized robot sounding "music" or cut up those nice samples and assign them to keys and pads if you would rather not sound like you're making beats for souljah toy.

ohh and as for hands on knobs and faders.... pretty sure you can find them on an MPK if you pulled your head out your ass and head a look.

u get what u pay for,u buy cheap vst's and u get ****ty sounds.me, i would never trade n e of my mpcs for a mpk,cuz it dont have a sampler,but it does come with a daw and so does the mm6.my votes for the mpk61.

Back