Building a home studio. Not sure what's left.

Timenoid

I'm a complete beginner, planning on producing/mixing House, DnB, Trip Hop (at least to start, as those are where my inspirations lie).

What I have as of right now:

I had a Macbook Pro already, so I just picked up Logic off of the app store.

NI's Maschine. (My buddy told me I needed a midi keyboard or controller, and he recommended it. I asked him the question I'm posing to you guys and he shrugged, so I'm hoping that was a good purchase.)

I have some decent headphones.

And that's about it. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've heard about sound cards and studio monitors, however I really wouldn't know where to start so I figured I'd come to people who actually know what they're talking about for advice. Haha.

Budget isn't a HUGE issue. (I'm already in credit debt, so a deeper hole doesn't really matter to me).

Thanks guys and gals.

invest in a sound card
- too many to advise you of one that will suit your needs without a much more in depth statement of your needs

invest in a pair of flat monitors
- the choices here are almost endless as well
-- you should consider whether you get powered or passive monitors as there are additional costs to then consider in buying amplifiers and and crossover units

invest in a keyboard so that you can play lines as well use your maschine for pad based input (drumming and such)
- again you are spoilt for choice so minimum of 49 keys but better to go 61 or more

Myself, I have just purchased the Fostex PMO.5 monitors for my son with the PMO.n sub and a Tascam US1800 interface - he;'s studying audio engineering at the moment so needs his own setup to run his practice room. We already have a Yamaha PSr keyboard and a Behringer UMX61 controller as well as maschine.

Back