Blown studio monitors?

dolan

Hi,

I recently bought a pair of Yamaha HS8 from the US, but I'm from the UK. When I plugged them in, the studio monitors blinked for a second with some bright lights, then it never turned on again. Did I just blow the monitors?
The voltage of the UK is 240V and the US is 110V. How easy is this to fix?
Is it a matter of replacing the fuse?

And should I buy a 240V to 110V transformer?

Help guys!

I can't return it as I bought it off eBay

I need to replace the fuse or take it to a repair store I reckon

Last edited:
I have never opened up a studio monitor before, could someone tell me where the fuse is located?

240V will fry anything that's wired for 110V, often immediately. That happens here in the US when people try to hook up everyday 110V appliances to 220V line, which is usually reserved for heavy electrical loads like air conditioners. If you haven't killed the monitors, make sure you get the converter before trying again.

Last edited:
Is it possible to do it myself? Because the nearest Yamaha Service Centre is 3 hours away. Its just changing a simple fuse right?

wow, just .... wow!

sorry second time I have used that today but for pretty much the same reasons

where are you in England?

as for changing a fuse it may not be that simple

most gear that requires fuses you can access the fuse without having to open the box up

If you need to open the box up then I strongly suggest that you take it to the service centre or a qualified repair store

you may have been lucky and not damaged anything but opening it up and messing around inside if you do not know what to look may further compromise these

Wow, coincidence

I live in Chatham, Kent

Yeah, I have thought about going to a service centre, but I think the nearest one is in Milton Keynes? Man ain't gonna trek there, you get me
I've found this link of someone opening up a HS80, and it doesn't look too complicated

sweclockers.com/galleri/11521-how-i-repaired-my-defective-yamaha-hs80m-studio-monitor

The fuse looks like its near the AC inlet. I just need to know the type of fuse

Right, I have opened up the back of the monitor, and yes there is a blown fuse. Images are shown below.
Opening it up was very simple, unscrew the 10 screws and pull the panel off, and near the AC inlet, there will be a fuse.

the fuse is a T2AL 250V. I bought a pack of 10 from eBay for £1.90. From the pictures, it is clear that the fuse is blown

Sorry, but I'm not going to pay £60 for a "professional" to unscrew some nuts and take out a fuse :D

IMG_2539.JPGIMG_2537.JPGIMG_2538.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 203
most gear that requires fuses you can access the fuse without having to open the box up

I wish I could say that's the case. Just checked my US-model HS8s and there is no clear 'fuse panel' on the outside. You shouldn't run into too much trouble opening the back(I've done it to replace the woofer) and if there is a fuse(I really hope...) it would be almost right next to or directly attached to the back of the electrical connection. I don't remember the power circuit, so I suppose it could be on a circuit board where the power wires connect.

If there's a fuse, and it blew fast enough, you might not have fried anything on the main amp board and you can proceed with a power converter and a new fuse. Since you've got it open anyhow, look around the board under good light for anything resembling scorching or exploded components. If you see that, or there's no fuse, it's time to take it to a service center and cross your fingers.

-Rob

Hi Dolan, I also have the exact same problem with my yamaha HS5. Are you able to fix your HS8? Did you opened the HS8 from back or u need to unscrew from front as well? can you pls share the ebay link to buy the fuse?Thanks in advance..

Back