Best Studio Monitors for a Newbie

Barrettboi93

Hey guys and girls I was wondering if someone could help me, I've recently started producing music and Djing with my SX2, but now I'm after a decent pair of studio monitors that won't break the bank? Has anyone got any suggestions for me ?
Many thanks
Ricky

Firstly... Are you wanting speakers to monitor your DJ practice or to produce music... The 2 are very different. If just for DJ'ing you'll want some sweet sounding ones. If for producing you'll want the most natural, accurate with fast transient response you can afford.

Yamaha HS range, is the cheapest worth considering. But don't be fooled, you can't get decent studio monitors that won't break the bank. I have Dynaudios BM5's they do the job but have many floors.

Bigger drivers arn't always better, especially in a small room. Louder isn't always better and the increased lower extension isn't always better.

Again... Do you want something loud and banging for DJ practice or something to produce music with, the 2 are very different. if you try to satisfy both with a small budget, you'll end up disappointed in 1.

for a first set it doesn't really matter that much since you are probably going to upgrade anyway. but you want a decent pair right?
just buy something above $250 preferably a little more expensive. for that kind of money the differences between sets aren't going to be immense as long as you buy something that gets decent reviews.

and always remember: Google is your friend!

(...)buy something that gets decent reviews.

...although do read actual pro reviews and not just user reviews - because the problem with user reviews at this price range is that most of these people are buying their first monitors, thus their objectiveness flying out the window as pretty much any actual monitor speaker will sound miles better (which doesn't equal accurate) than your average computer speakers.

The Alesis m1's (first gen) are pretty decent IMO.

I've seen them for sale in used but usable condition for around $100 - $150 on Craigslist.

IMO they are better than the Rokit's everybody tends to pick up.

It definitely depends what you're looking for!

Since it sounds as though you are relatively new like myself, I can understand where you're coming from.

I have had the Mackie MR4's for about 6 months now. The MR 5's are quality as well. I'd also recommend the Rok-it 5" speakers, my good friend has them, so I have personal experience with all of these monitors.

I am a college student so I can assume that I'll be working out of a relatively small room for the next few years. A small room with thin walls at that. If you have a small room, I'd recommend keeping the monitors small. So, you'll probably want speakers with cones that are 4 or 5 inches at the most.

Since you'd be saving money with speakers anywhere from $150-$250, you should also get a small package of acoustic foam (about 12 sq ft should do). Place it on the wall behind the speaker, and most importantly on the side wall at the angle of first reflection. This will give you a much clearer picture of what is coming out of your monitors.

So thats my newbie advice! Hope this helps, and remember to read lots of reviews!

-Delta

Last edited:
Check out the Focal Alphas - They may be a bit higher than you're thinking but def worth it. I started on Rokkit 5s from KRK. Still have them in my studio.

Been using m-audio bx5 d2 for almost 2 years now and they do the job . Not fully accurate but can still acheive good mix . You can get them for cheap now i think this could be a good choice if you have a low budget . If you can spent little more id get those yamaha hs50 and you can add a sub later if you feel you need more bass . Buying used can help you save alot also .

I hear a lot of good things about Focal speakers. I once had the opportunity to listen to different models and was quite impressed by all of them. Adam Audio speakers also get a lot of good reviews. A friend of mine is very happy with his.
I'm using PMCs myself since 10+ years. They are great but have become so expensive I can't honestly recommend them to anyone with a tight or even medium budget.

Last edited:
Focal, IMO, is miles better then anything near or even far off the price range. I'd pick my Focal Alpha 80s over genelecs, mackie hr, adam, eve audio, neuman kh, dynaudio, event, any day.

Back