Best studio monitor headphones

MarcWilliams

What's your opinion for the best headphones that also have good sound cancelling properties. Going on a few long haul flights soon haha

What kind of budget do you have? Because, well, there are the pretty good ones and then there are the best, the latter which can get pretty expensive.

The general consensus seems to be "Don't get 'Beats by Dre'!!!!"

A recording studio and film set standard are the Sony MDR 7506. I have an older set of Sony's (forget the model number, but a step above the 7506's) that are great. "Noise Cancelling" phones are often more of a consumer thing; not that they won't be nice, but if you're also looking for studio phones to assist with critical listening and mixes, I'd put that in first place as far as selection criteria, as well as comfort, and let noise cancelling take care of itself (get closed phones, and turn them up a little ;) ).

Many people like the Audio Technica M40 and M50. We've got the 7506's at The Sonic Vault, and we have tested them against the AT's, and I don't hear a credible difference.

Some people really like some of the Grado headphones.

You can spend a lot more, but you don't necessarily have to. When you get into a lot of "high end" hi-fi phones, they tend to be like hi-fi speakers-- they can sound great, but they are hyped in some area, and therefore not going to be "flat," so not as good for mixing assist (at least not until you are really, really familiar with them through lots of repeated listening).

An important thing to look for as you "try before you buy" (highly recommended that you do this in a brick and mortar store, rather than guessing and hoping over the Internet), is comfort. If you're going to be wearing them over extended periods, whether making music or on long flights, you need to make sure that they're really comfortable on your head, and not just wowing you with audio pizazz that will lose its luster after an hour's worth of use.

GJ

I would recommend the V-Moda crossfade LP2s. They are simply amazing. I work with them everyday, and have been doing so since I bought them back in 2010. These headphones are built with superb quality and feel. Also they have recently dropped in price since some newer models have been released. The main reason I recommend them is because of their durability/audio quality combination. For $170 USD, you really can'y buy anything better. It even comes with a hard case!

Back