Best Keyboard For Producing?

I just started producing and I find it really hard to make beats only with FL Studio. Does having a keyboard make it easier? What are the best MIDI keyboards or MPC's for hip hop? I'm looking to make anything from trap to soulful boom bap beats. My maximum price is $300. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Having a keyboard will make you feel like more of a "real" producer and will make others see you more like one.

If you haven't used keys before, it'll slow you down for quite a bit until you apply some drive and determination to learning the keys. The possibilities for musical expression and rhythmic nuance are greater with a keyboard, but the learning curve is slow.

TBH, though, wayyyyyyyy back in the day when I bought my first 25-key MIDI controller, I just bought it to audition presets in VST synths and such.

For $300 or less, I'd personally go with a Novation Nocturn 49. The SL mkII 61 I'd normally recommend is twice your price range, but the Nocturn 49 has the same awesome keybed and has automap.

Last edited:
i know exactly what your talkin about bro... because i was in that position awhile back when i first started producing haha. In my positionr i had to use my qwerty keyboard. An that wasn't cutting it at all.. it drove me crazy lol.. so i did some research and ended up getting a MPK25. An to an your question about does it make it easier.. yes it did, ALOT easier! just having the feel of a real keyboard made it better. if i were you i would go with a midi controller. Either the MPK25 or The Axiom25. Both are right in your price range (From 225-300) and both come with the MPC like pad's.

The only reason you'd want to buy a 25 key keyboard should be mobility or lack of space. There are some ppl who claim 25 keys are nice to play bass lines on but if that's your only keyboard you're in risk of having a lack of keys later on when you learn to play better.
Otherwise, I'd say get at least 49 keys or more.
I got 49 keys because of money reasons. Now I do think sometimes I should've gotten myself at least a 61 key keyboard but tbh, 49 is cutting it nicely. You can always transpond and producing gives you the luxury not having to play both hands at the same time. If keyboard ain't your main instrument that's something nice anyway. That way you don't need to play as good as you would if that'd be your only instrument in a live setting. You do have to understand the theory behind key, scales, chords, etc.
25 keys is gonna mess your workflow up too much if you have to transpond and/or stop the whole time to put in notes of higher octaves.
I always have in the back of my mind that if I start playing that good, I'll buy an 88 key weighted board so I'll have two keyboards. Not really in risk of this as saxophone and EWI on the computer is my main instrument. Also , controlling the pads is something that needs to be practiced a lot as well if you want to do it Jeremy Ellis style :D.
Tried playing the drums and percussion with the EWI but that seems ridiculuous if you ask me. I usually play drums and percussion on the pad controller.
Also, pads on keyboards usually aren't much good compared to propper pad controllers.
The Korg PadKontrol is about the cheapest propper responsive pad controller out there. You can easily pick those up second hand. The cheaper MPDs are around as well, but a lot of ppl complain about the pads on them. There's youtubes out there to get those pads more responsive with ductape though. The Maschine from NI is something nice as well. Other than that you could go towards MPCs.
Anyway, these are my 2 cents, better buy enough keys now than to be sorry later on.

i would hate to make beats with no midi keyboard. i use the m-audio oxygen 62 key. (or is it 61? lol). i think it is great. i dont mind that it doesnt feel like a real piano or high quality keyboard, cuz im no professional player! i just jam and make sh*t bump! if you want something a little nicer you could find one with some drum pads on it. that's always fun.

I was on a budget when buying my keyboard, chose the cheapest i could find. Come out with the CME m-key and to be honest it has served me well for £80

Back