Best Headphone Monitors?

Vestigio

Hi,

I'm looking up at some headphone monitors, and I just don't know which ones I should choose to buy... I'm currently using Phillips SHL3100/00 and they're not monitors, but I also can't afford for some speakers right now. I'm looking at the Behringer HPS3000 (high dynamic range, closed back, 20Hz-20kHz, 100 mW maximum power handling, 64ohm impedance, 110dB sensitivity), and the Superlux HD681 (dynamic, semi-open, 98dB SPL, 32ohms, 10Hz-30kHz, 300mW) - not the best choices, but under my price range.
Can anyone tell me with which ones I'd be better off, or if I even should buy a set of headphone monitors, having the Phillips SHL3100/00?

Thanks for any help. Peace.

What is your price range?

Headphone monitors? What´s that?
If you are looking for a good headset for mixing I suggest you search this forum or read through the headset thread over at Gearslutz.com.
It currently has 2689 replies and 418.018 views and there probably win´t a headset in this world that is not mentioned in that thread.. But you won´t be much smarter after reading those.
What you will get is a reference to start testing headsets.
Thats what u gotta do, listen to good mixes and try to listen to what headset gives a good, separated and well balanced overview.
Nothing too coloured.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
What is your price range?

Headphone monitors? What´s that?
If you are looking for a good headset for mixing I suggest you search this forum or read through the headset thread over at Gearslutz.com.
It currently has 2689 replies and 418.018 views and there probably win´t a headset in this world that is not mentioned in that thread.. But you won´t be much smarter after reading those.
What you will get is a reference to start testing headsets.
Thats what u gotta do, listen to good mixes and try to listen to what headset gives a good, separated and well balanced overview.
Nothing too coloured.
Best of luck.

Studio headphones, sorry if I wasn't using the correct term.. I'm trying not to spend more than 20-30 bucks, since I'm also going to buy the maschine mikro, and that's why I'm looking at the headphones I've indicated in the thread. I'm just confused at how to choose, because I don't know if I should go for a higher range of Hz-kHz, if I should choose a set with higher or lower ohms, if it's best for the closed-back set...that's my really big doubts.. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
at 30 bucks it does not matter what you buy. Nothing will ever come close to a decent mixing headset in that range. Did you meen 200-300?

Last edited:
at 30 bucks it does not matter what you buy. Nothing will ever come close to a decent mixing headset in that range. Did you meen 200-300?

No, I really meant 20-30... I'm going to buy a pair of monitors in the near future, but for now, I don't have the sufficient money to buy both monitors and maschine mikro, nor the space. I'm just looking at the studio headphones mostly because they'll probably be better than my current headset, independently of how cheap they are, but if I'm incorrect, than I'll probably just stick to my Phillips headset, and wait a couple of months or so to buy a pair of monitors..

Ok. What DAW are u planning on using?
I´m asking coz I would never ever invest 330Euro in a hardware controller other than a cheap midi keyboard if I did not have monitors or a decent pair of cans (headphones).
But then again, when I was new to this I did very bad decisions myself. Back in 96 I bought a Korg Trinithy brand new (4200 USD) before I had even a set of monitors or a decent headset.
But way back then I used the software in the Trinity to sequence music.

Well, it´s your call and I know the Urge for a specific piece of hardware :)

Ok. What DAW are u planning on using?
I´m asking coz I would never ever invest 330Euro in a hardware controller other than a cheap midi keyboard if I did not have monitors or a decent pair of cans (headphones).
But then again, when I was new to this I did very bad decisions myself. Back in 96 I bought a Korg Trinithy brand new (4200 USD) before I had even a set of monitors or a decent headset.
But way back then I used the software in the Trinity to sequence music.

Well, it´s your call and I know the Urge for a specific piece of hardware :)

I'm currently using Ableton, and I'll probably stick to it, unless I get Pro Tools and find it better fitting to me, other than that, I'll used the Maschine's software. I've already got my future setup sorta planned out, as for midi keyboard, mixer/audio interface and monitors, but for now, I'm in a tight space, and I've been craving for the Maschine since I began making beats, for about a year and a half, but I never felt it was the right time, to buy it. I'm more into sampling, and I'm learning my steps into production with an AKAI LPK25, and I'll probably buy a bigger and better keyboarda when I think it's apropriate for me.

I got the Sony MDR-V900s in 2006 for about $180. I have used them constantly over that time period and still do so today. I'm not an audio engineer or anything, but they have worked well for me and have easily made up for the initial price.

I got the Sony MDR-V900s in 2006 for about $180. I have used them constantly over that time period and still do so today. I'm not an audio engineer or anything, but they have worked well for me and have easily made up for the initial price.

Yeah, but that's way up my price range, like I said, I'll eventually buy a pair of monitors in the future, I just needed a better audio reference besides my common headphones..

Beyerdynamic 880 pro. If you have more money to spend then Sony MDR 7520 as these are the headphones Dr. Luke uses. Anyone can talk shit about him but the man is responsible for over 21 number 1 hit songs in the past 7 years.

Close thread.

Back