Beginner Question: Choosing the right music hardware for production

johnthedon

whats going on guys, I'm leaving this post to see if anyone can give me some advice on hardware like MPC or NI maschine.
to help you guys figure out my situation. Ive been making beats for a year now and just started getting the hang of making full beats. when i first started production i jumped straight to MPC studio thats right straight up 0 to 100. made a descent sampled loop but felt frustrated, quit and sold it. eventually i picked up fl studio and have been making some clean tracks. as of now i feel like I'm more of a sample based individual with making beats and i think hardware is my best choice with a little compatibility. however, i bought a MPC 500 and have been trying to understand it a month and 2 weeks in now and production is to slow for me and not as user friendly as i thought. should i go ahead and try a MPC2000xl i heard that it is easy to use but not as compatible with computer. or should i get and maschine groove. honestly I'm up for anything at this point or whatever you guys suggest. at this point i just can't handle the bounce from then to dilemma. thanks a lot

Begginer Question: choosing the right music hardware for production

whats going on guys, I'm leaving this post to see if anyone can give me some advice on hardware like MPC or NI machine. to help you guys figure out my situations
.I've been making beats for a year now and just started getting the hang of making full beats. when i first started production i jumped straight to MPC studio thats right straight up 0 to 100. made a descent chopped sample but felt frustrated,quit and sold it. eventually i picked up fl studios and have been making some clean tracks. as of now i feel like I'm more of a sample based individual with making beats and i think hardware is my best choice moving away from stock sounds however, i bought a MPC 500 and have been trying to understand it a month and 2 weeks in now and production is too slow for me and not as user friendly than i thought. should i go ahead and try MPC2000XL i heard that it is easy to use but not compatible with computer. or should i get a NI maschine groove which i know nothing about. honestly I'm up for anything at this point or whatever you guys suggest. at this point i just can't handle the bounce from then to dilemma.thanks a lot

Last edited:
whats going on guys, I'm leaving this post to see if anyone can give me some advice on hardware like MPC or NI machine. to help you guys figure out my situations
.I've been making beats for a year now and just started getting the hang of making full beats. when i first started production i jumped straight to MPC studio thats right straight up 0 to 100. made a descent chopped sample but felt frustrated,quit and sold it. eventually i picked up fl studios and have been making some clean tracks. as of now i feel like I'm more of a sample based individual with making beats and i think hardware is my best choice moving away from stock sounds however, i bought a MPC 500 and have been trying to understand it a month and 2 weeks in now and production is too slow for me and not as user friendly than i thought. should i go ahead and try MPC2000XL i heard that it is easy to use but not compatible with computer. or should i get a NI maschine groove which i know nothing about. honestly I'm up for anything at this point or whatever you guys suggest. at this point i just can't handle the bounce from then to dilemma.thanks a lot
MPC 'workflow' is likely to be at least 'similar' across Akai's range... Check out some YouTube tutorials for Maschine; they might give you a flavour of whether or not Maschine's workflow is for you or not.
The majority of my own stuff is sample based and Maschine (MkII) is the major piece in my rig. I may upgrade at some point (I'll probably skip the current 'studio' model) but can't see me ever getting rid for another unit.

Can't really help much, cuz the closest thing I remotely have to an actual mpc[portable beatmaker] is a small tablet screen connected to an mpd18 :/
And a desktop with a Pk but besides the point, I'd seriously recommend learning most of the features of a possible device before even asking whether or not.
One mistake is getting something you have no backround knowledge of. It'd be a good idea to (if possible) demo it for a relatively long time.

thanks bro, if you don't mind answering guru how user friendly is it. i was considering the groove as my next choice but wasn't sure of learning curve but all in all its not what you use it how you use it.

I love Maschine - when I got it, I used it as a pseudo-DAW, now I mainly use its multi-outout feature and run it straight into PT (or Logic occassionally). You can still have all the midi information in your DAW and trigger the sounds in maschine. I tweak the sounds (tuning, sample length etc.) with the Maschine controller and I think it's awesome. The sounds that come with it are pretty good too in my opinion. IMHO personalizing the sounds is pretty easy with the said sampling feature. My 2 cents ...

Learning curve isn't bad for Maschine IMO but I guess it depends how deep you go... I'm still learning new features on the regular... Like I said tho, YouTube has masses of tutorials for you as you need them...

Back