Basic Subwoofer connection?

alexamiles

I recently purchased a yamaha YST swo12 to use with my presonus eris e5 monitors and behringer xenyx x1204usb. Right now it seems the only port on the mixer for the subwoofer to plug into (came with one mono rca cable) is the L or R 2 track/USB output (the only rca connection point on the mixer). This works fine for everything coming down the channels, I have my turntable and an aux connection routed thru my mixer and they respond with the subwoofer, however, this mixer is connected to the computer via usb, and for some reason my computer playback does not play back the subwoofer, only the monitors. I can only hear computer (working out of logic x usually) only when the 2 track/usb to main button is pressed, however once thats active, the subwoofer stops getting signal from any source. When the 2trk/usb button is active for the source, along with the main mix, the sub is reapplied to all other sources except usb (playback from logic). and when none of the source buttons are active the subwoofer still receives signal but the monitors dont. Ive looked around online for help to this but have hit a wall. Do i need some kind of conversion cable to hook the subwoofer to the monitors to make it a 2.1 system? right now i feel like its definitely in the wrong output but im not sure where else it might go. Thanks in advance, will try and take some pics if this comes off as too confusing

Sorry to say, but that's not the speaker you want, and you shouldn't plug it into the 2 track/usb ports - unpredictable results and possible damage will result. Subwoofer(s) should be on the same output as the mains, and connect with a crossover. Very often, the crossover is built into the sub, so the connection goes main outs > subwoofer > mains, like this JBL sub. There are probably cheaper options,

When you look at the docs for your sub, it plugs into a port called "subwoofer" on an amp - probably a Yamaha of some sort - not designed for what you need. Also, since the port on the mixer is labeled 2 track/usb , thinking it's one or the other.

Back