audio issues from headphone port on focusrite interface

imafanoftherock

I just recently got a scarlett 2i2 and a pair of lsr305s. I bought a cheap 3.5 to 1/4 adapter from best buy to listen to my mix with headphones after working on the monitors, and everything just sounds like complete trash when I plug it into the scarlett. I first thought it was the adapter so I returned it but even with the replacement it sounds terrible like my leveling is just way off. I unplug my interface from my computer and just use the default realtek or whatever audio source and plug my headphones into my computer and my mix is exactly the way I wanted it to be. I'm new to interfaces and monitors so are cable adapters like the one I have not the way to go with interfaces? Or is it possible my port is defective?

Silly question maybe, but where are you plugging the headphones in?

Also, did you calibrate all volume meters on your system yet?

GJ

I'm plugging the headphones in through a 3.5 to 1/4 adapter that's on the front of the interface and the headphones are some old pair of kicker headphones because I don't have my ath-m50x with me to try. And what do you mean by calibrating all volume meters on my system?

If they are cheap phones, that might be your problem as the output could be over-driving them. Just wanted to make sure you weren't plugging into a speaker out or something.

Re: Calibration; your meters, and by some token extension your volume controls, will not really be meaningful until they are basically the same, in other words, "0" on all meters are as matched as possible and you've marked volume positions (such as 85 dB on your monitor pot) so you know when you are in the appropriate range for listening/playback.

An article on Monitor Calibration:

How Do I Calibrate My Studio Monitors? | PreSonus

An article on Meter/System Calibration:

Calibrating Meters in a hybrid studio | Studio & Recording

A Gearslutz thread on Calibration:

Calibrating levels in studio - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

GJ

Back