audio interface is it worth it?

Mrtnsson

Hi, I would like some advices from you guys. I just bought myself a pair of KRK rokit 5 and was thinking of getting a audio interface but since I dont quite know so much about Im insecure about what it really does. I am using the unbalanced RCA atm but if you use an audio interface its a TRS balanced input instead? (correct me here if im wrong). Ive researched around abit and dont want any super expensive or fancy just something simple that works with my KRKs. I found focusrite-scarlett-2i2 or the solo. So I wonder if I can buy one of those and then just plug it into the both speakers and then to the computer and suddenly you have a balanced audio instead of an unbalanced or how does it work?

I understand part of your question but I'm kind of lost with your balanced or unbalanced question. An audio interface is ideal for mixing and recording vocals or instruments due to the increase in sound quality it provides. However, if you're just starting out, you can get by without one until you get serious.

As far as the unbalanced or balanced audio goes, you can get a Y adapter that has a 1/8 in male plug on one side for your computer and two 1/4 in female slots on the other for your KRK monitors and have a stereo signal. I've heard that it depends on the type of monitors and computer you have, but most new speakers and computers automatically detect a stereo signal once you plug both speakers into a Y adapter. I'm not sure how that would work with panning to the left and right speakers separately because I've never had to mix or pan audio without an audio interface or headphones. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The main difference between balanced & unbalanced is that the the former is better shielded against interference (electrical hum/radio static and such). If there isn't any interference, balanced won't sound any different than unbalanced. It sounds like a sound quality thing but isn't.

That said, the built-in cheapo soundchips in computers are fairly prone to interference from the computer's components + with an interface you'll get a consistent volume control & the option to record outside sources if need be. I think the interface is a bare necessity, not a luxury.

I think an audio interface takes a huge load off the computer's processor for some reason cuz the buffers can go way down with an interface eve on a 1.3ghz tablet :/
Balanced is xlr I think and unbalanced is rca from what I've read. It'll sound better than the default audio card if the audio card is bad enough lol do not confuse a stock audio card with an internal audio card either the stock ones in motherboards is realtek but can be replaced by external or internal.

to more fully understand balanced (because you can get unbalanced cables that have an xlr on them)

a balanced cable has a shield and two signal lines, one known as hot the other know as cold. The hot is the signal. The cold is the signal polarity reversed (i.e. when the hot line is positive the cold line is negative by the same amplitude). Balanced cables can use xlr or trs or both; from a wiring perspective: shield is pin 1 or the sleeve, hot is pin 2 or the tip; cold is pin 3 or the ring

an unbalanced cable on the other hand has only a signal line and a shield/ground. You can wire an xlr to a ts plug: the shield is pin 1/sleeve, the signal is pin 2/tip, Pin 3 is usually tied to the shield line as well: it is never tied to pin 2

Back