Audio Interface Vs Midi Keyboard

Jimbro

Hey there. Basically I have a bit of a dilemma.
I'm currently an engineering student and have been learning basic production as a hobby for a little while. Unfortunately I don't dedicate anywhere near as much time as I wish I did to it. Due to a lack of time and serious procrastination no doubt. Anyway; I could do with a couple of bits of hardware and need some advice.
I'm hoping to record some guitar and possibly vocals in the future so I've been shopping around for audio interfaces. At the moment I've set my sights on a either the Focusrite 2i2 or 2i4 but they both seem a little expensive considering I don't spend a lot of time writing or producing. The choice between them is down to the midi inputs. I could do with a midi keyboard as using on screen keyboards if getting tedious but I already have an ancient 61 key Casio LK-43. The dilemmas are:

Is it worth spending the dosh on an interface? Also bearing in mind my speakers are just a set of Logitech 5.1's

Would getting the 2i4 and using my ancient Casio be better than getting the 2i2 and buying a cheap usb keyboard?

I appreciate these are quite opinionated questions but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot,
Jim

2i4 and casio would be the go for now - seriously use the tech you have and save your money for better gear down the track......

Back