Audio interface, soundcard, PA, and latency

Chris Hamberg

Hi.

I am building an in house PA system, and have been considering using a DAW , software based, mixer; as opposed to using a traditional hardware mixer.

My concern in implementing this type of configuration is the amount of latency from an 8x8 audio to USB interface. The PA is required to perform all of the standard PA tasks. Particularly: 8 simultaneous inputs, and then feeding the master back out to 2 mains, and 2 monitors. The purpose of the system is both for spoken voice, and also for musical performance.

Does an 8x8 audio interface exist, that can operate reliably, at less then a 20ms latency, for the sake of the musicians?

When dealing with something like this: the snake is approximately 50ft, and the patch bay at the front. The audio interface would be at the rear. The power amps to the mains and monitors will be at the front. Might there be other gain stages that might be a matter of concern; beyond just the interface; in terms of latency and audio quality?

What interface devices might you recommend; if there should be any? I am open to the idea of a MIDI mixer as well. Would connecting the interface to the computer with fiber optic help?

Also should there be consideration taken for the computers sound card? I believe the current sound card in the machine is a factory sound card. The budget for the entire system is $2000.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

the budget, for the entire system, is $2000. we need 8 channels. not 32. the question is of latency.

Last edited:
so, to be clear:

you need to buy interface, software, computer, power amplifiers, speakers, stage box for $2000 ?

in that case forget digital, period!

no. the power amplifiers already exist; the computer already exists.

the question was already clear:

"Does an 8x8 audio interface exist, that can operate reliably, at less then a 20ms latency"
"Might there be other gain stages that might be a matter of concern; beyond just the interface; in terms of latency and audio quality?"
"What interface devices might you recommend; if there should be any?"
"Would connecting the interface to the computer with fiber optic help? "
"should there be consideration taken for the computers sound card?"

The question couldn't be any clearer. I posted the budget to clearly indicate that no one is interested in a $2000 hardware unit. Pleanty of 8x8 audio interfaces exist for approximately $200 - 500. The question, clearly: is of latency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave you the best solution for your problem - the one you originally described and just reiterated

then you tell me that it is too much for your budget which led me to ask what else is the budget to cover

you haven't answered that question

spending more on the interface will reduce the latency issues

Pretty much any soundcard these days - in a properly configured system - should be able to operate @ sub-20ms latencies. But for super-reliable low-latency operation, I'd probably look at RME. Fiber optics or the computer's built-in soundcard aren't a factor here.

Back