Audio Interface or Monitors

gman3000

Hi all, I'm currently making music on a computer using headphones. My budget is very tight and I can only purchase one thing at the moment. Should I therefore go for an audio interface and continue using headphones for now or should I go for some monitors? Advice appreciated.

Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your age? This matters if you are of age to find a job to support yourself and your hobbies as music making is a costly endeavor based on equipment choices for which it imperative you know your needs vs. your wants.

What OGBama is saying is that if you're "in" this, get used to the idea of spending, and you really do need both, if you're going to get the most out of your production experience.

On the other hand, to your point-- _IF_ you are working exclusively "in the box" for now, with no need or desire to bring in any audio sources (vocals or other live instruments) or MIDI, and you are using just samples or loops or soft-synths within whichever DAW is your platform, then I would say a good set of monitors would be the next step (assuming you are looking at active/powered speakers rather than passive, otherwise you'd have to buy an amp as well).

If you spend a little more on good speakers now, you won't need to upgrade later, and with proper care, they should serve you well for years.

just get the interface now and use headphones. Then save for the monitors. If you get the monitors first you will not have a place to plug them in because they plug into the interface.

For that price, dude get a fucking interface you can not be serious lol.
Or stick to asio4all and get a pair of 100$ headphones if you don't already have headphones up there.

Good sturdy long lasting flat response speakers will be 300$ minimum but you can get some hifi klipsch promedias for 150$.
So YO GET SOME HEADPHONES IF YOU DON'T ALREADY. Lemme link ya some good ones for your troubles.

Srh440.
maudio q40.
m50x.
Sennheisers in that range, any in that range.
Grados in the range.
akg in that range.

Back