Attn: All Focusrite Liquid saffire owners and Saffire owners .. MUST READ

realizment

Fellow owners of the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 (possible other Saffire units)

I found an issue with my unit where there was a clear difference in the signal being produced from the Left and Right channels. Most notably in the low end.

I tried everything initially from changing cables all audio cables and firewire. Changing monitors and using on a completely different setup in 2 different studios.

I then brought it for repair. The focusrite authorized repair center did not hear the issue on first try and just cleaned some internal ribbons and thought it was good. But it was not. On the second attempt I went in there and showed the issue and they heard it..

This time after they waited and waited for focusrite to respond to them the techs proceeded to do a mod that focusrite issued previously for the 40s I believe but not the 56 and thought this fixed but it did not.

Today I received a brand new unit I bought myself elsewhere my first unit was out of warranty. The new unit is producing the same results.

Can you guys please test yours and see if you are having the same problem.

Here is the steps I follow to produce the most audible results of this issue.

1: I load up trillian on the default patch.

2: Play a note such as C1 or D1 and loop it

3: Pan from left to right and listen carefully.

Use your monitors and headphones that produce good low end. The exaggerated bass on the horrible beats headphones are very good for hearing this issue because you can really hear and feel the difference on those.

You can also use any low-end source but certain things make it more apparent than others. Listen for the Low end rumble it usually disappears on one side.

I wont say which side but please post your results hear it would be much appreciated and I believe I have unearthed a design flaw. This issue is very hard to identify unless your looking for it.

I don't know if there is a logical answer but if there is the repair center nor Focusrite have it.

An easier way to test this guys would be to just use a simple sine wave at around 100hz and pan from to right.. Also pink and brown noise make it quite audible for me.

Back