Any to make SAMSON MTR101A mic work in computer!!!

imDCStar

Hey Guys,
I am completely noob with mics. Recently purchased MTR101A after purchasing find out it doesnt work with computer at all! Is there a way to make it work. I heard of XLR - USB will that work.?

Thanks

This is basically what most regular mics are like, with a normal XLR connection. You'll basically need an audio interface for this - of which those XLR-USB cables are the most basic version of...but since you basically have the parts of a whole interface (a mic preamp and an analog to digital converter) in a cheap cable-like package, you can't expect too great a quality out of those. I've heard a lot of complaints about these being pretty noisy. I'd suggest a basic recording interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Steinberg UR12 (there are other options as well).

This is basically what most regular mics are like, with a normal XLR connection. You'll basically need an audio interface for this - of which those XLR-USB cables are the most basic version of...but since you basically have the parts of a whole interface (a mic preamp and an analog to digital converter) in a cheap cable-like package, you can't expect too great a quality out of those. I've heard a lot of complaints about these being pretty noisy. I'd suggest a basic recording interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Steinberg UR12 (there are other options as well).

Hey Krushing,

Thankyou for replying. Can you give me the price estimation for both of them and quality is important to me. So i am not going to use XLR to USB at all. I wanna know can i use a simple Phantom Power Supply which is 48V (same as MTR101A requires) and then plug it to Computer via USB. Will that work?

Like These:

Buy 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter Online in Pakistan | Kaymu.pk
https://www.daraz.pk/lishion-48v-phantom-power-supply-with-adapter-6439953.html
Neewer 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter, BONUS+XLR 3 Pin Microphone Cable for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment (8 feet)
https://homeshopping.pk/products/Samson-Phantom-Power-Adapter-PM6-price-in-pakistan.html
http://www.shoppingbag.pk/index.php?_a=amazon/viewAmazProd&cat=All&productId=B00KAPGLQC
https://homeshopping.pk/products/Behringer-MICROPOWER-PS400-SIGNAL-PROCESSOR-Price-In-Pakistan.html

I dont know what is the use of mixer and how to use it yet. I want mic for Vocal Recordings... Thanks

It might work, but the output of microphones is different than most other audio devices, which is why microphones usually need a microphone preamplifier (or mic pre for short) to bring the low-level mic signal up to line level (which is probably what your computer's input is). So while you indeed need phantom power for the mic, it doesn't get around the problem of not having a mic pre. Which is why I suggested an audio interface. If they seem really expensive, you could of course try those XLR to USB cables - it's not like they're all horrible, and many people have used them successfully.

It might work, but the output of microphones is different than most other audio devices, which is why microphones usually need a microphone preamplifier (or mic pre for short) to bring the low-level mic signal up to line level (which is probably what your computer's input is). So while you indeed need phantom power for the mic, it doesn't get around the problem of not having a mic pre. Which is why I suggested an audio interface. If they seem really expensive, you could of course try those XLR to USB cables - it's not like they're all horrible, and many people have used them successfully.

Thank you so much Krushing. Decided to get Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Appreciated.

Back