alesis sr18: can I play the sounds via midi? AND need suggestions for basic sampler

jeadado

hi guys!

is it possible to connect the alesis sr18 to a midi keyboard (or to cubase) and and to play the sounds (arrange stuff in cubase)?

I just did not bought a boss dr 660 because it can only give out a clock, but the single samples can't be triggered via midi.

AND

and my other question: I need some basic cheap hardware sampler (can be old), is there anything you can suggest beside a mpc?

thanks alot!
jeandado

is it possible to connect the alesis sr18 to a midi keyboard (or to cubase) and and to play the sounds (arrange stuff in cubase)?

Yes.

I just did not bought a boss dr 660 because it can only give out a clock, but the single samples can't be triggered via midi.

Yes they can, the manual clearly outlines how to do this.

and my other question: I need some basic cheap hardware sampler (can be old), is there anything you can suggest beside a mpc?

Any specific features you'd like it to have? Most of the hw samplers of yore can be had for very cheap these days...Akai's S series are a classic, of course, but very limited; Yamaha's A series are very decent as are the last great Emus.

your claim about the DR660 is wrong

According to it's MIDI Implementation chart it both transmits and receives message on all 16 channels in the note range 27-81 (D[sup]#[/sup][sub]0[/sub]-A[sub]4[/sub])

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/DR-660_OM.pdf p 120 (of the whole file)

as for the alesis sr18

according to its MIDI implementation chart, no it cant receive MIDI messages - it can transmit them no problem but receiving them is indicated as NO, so driving it with your keyboard or daw is not possible

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/alesr18_manual.pdf P57 (of the whole file)

it can receive clock messages but that is about it - you would be triggering internal patterns and songs via the clock but would not ahve any control over the individual sounds

I suggest that you look at the MIDI implementation pages I referred to in my post and confirm it for yourself

o or O means Yes, x or X means No; anything else means yes with limitations according to the notes and the actual written text

thank you very much for the effort! seems like I won't be able to use it :(

is there any drumcomputer that allows to play the single sounds via midi?

Drum machines are usually used to trigger other sounds, if they're used that way at all. It sounds like you want a drum brain with a bunch of sounds in it; like a rack synth, only a drum module just has drum and percussion sounds. Like a lot of the older hardware stuff, you can probably pick something up pretty inexpensively on ebay.

There are a couple Alesis DM5's at this link (scroll down): Drum Module | eBay ; that's what a lot of people were using before the big software takeover.

As far as hardware samplers, as Krushing said, they're all over the place. If you want really inexpensive/bang-for-the-buck, look for Boss, Yamaha, or Vestax...

GJ

Last edited:
as for the alesis sr18

according to its MIDI implementation chart, no it cant receive MIDI messages - it can transmit them no problem but receiving them is indicated as NO, so driving it with your keyboard or daw is not possible

I think you misread the table - it doesn't say "received" but recognized (not to mention the manual has multiple tables on the MIDI notes to drum pads values) so yes, it does allow triggering of individual sounds. Would be pretty odd for a rather modern drum module not to be able to do this anyway :)

I would suggest that the table is wrong then - it should show O if it can recognise all 16 channels which is what the manual says on page 45 - this is a common problem with newer models and their implementation sheets

assigning note numbers to pads would be for transmission only and in fact won't affect what is recognised in terms of MIDI in (as the pads are not the source of the MIDI messages)

thanks alot guys!

do you know if the akai s20 sampler can be triggered by midi as well? the single samples?

Back