AKG K702 Headphones (Best Mixing Headphones) MAJOR SALE

Timing couldn't have been any more perfect for me to see this!

Hoe confident are you about them being some of the best? I know you do your research.

Now I wonder if I should go with room treatment(of my super crappy room) and monitors or just go with these.

Last edited:
Timing couldn't have been any more perfect for me to see this!

Hoe confident are you about them being some of the best? I know you do your research.

Now I wonder if I should go with room treatment(of my super crappy room) and monitors or just go with these.

Here's some graphs showing how similar they are in frequency response to some of the other well-renowned monitoring headphones.

The AKG K702s are 99.9% identical in response to the to the also-renowned Sennheiser HD600 all the way up to 1.5KHz,
and equally accurate overall above 1.5KHz while emphasizing slightly different frequencies:

graphCompare.php

The 702s are also 99.9% identical to the VERY expensive ($500) Shure SRH1840 headphones.
I don't think I've ever seen two different brands be so similar:

graphCompare.php

I'd definitely pick them up while they're still on sale: Amazon.com: AKG K702 Headphones: Electronics
I just got an extra pair, myself!
I think I'll keep them as a backup, or just sit on them keeping them unopened to sell later when the price goes back up.

If you want me to draw a comparison against a particular set of cans, just let me know.
If you're mixing on headphones, this is as good as it gets!

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
How are they for tracking?

Im pretty set on getting some Yamaha hs80ms once i figure out this room treatment puzzle. So i wouldnt technically NEED them, but it would be handy to have a pair of mixing headphones around. But my more immediate need is something to track and record in. Assuming the hs80's will be my main reference source for mixing.

How are they for tracking?

Im pretty set on getting some Yamaha hs80ms once i figure out this room treatment puzzle. So i wouldnt technically NEED them, but it would be handy to have a pair of mixing headphones around. But my more immediate need is something to track and record in. Assuming the hs80's will be my main reference source for mixing.

The 702s are not a tracking headphone, since they're open-backed.
What makes them great for mixing/mastering (the open back to reduce resonance) makes them bad for tracking (sound leakage).

For tracking,
I recommend the Sony MDR 7506
(and strangely enough, they've been on sale here too for like $75 rather than $100).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
The 702s are not a tracking headphone, since they're open-backed.
What makes them great for mixing/mastering (the open back to reduce resonance) makes them bad for tracking (sound leakage).

For tracking,
I recommend the Sony MDR 7506
(and strangely enough, they've been on sale here too for like $75 rather than $100).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Oh sorry I didnt mean tracking anything that would pick up bleed. How are they for just DAW editing/ Midi recording, etc?

Last edited:
Oh sorry I didnt mean tracking anything that would pick up bleed. How are they for just DAW editing/ Midi recording, etc?

They are absolutely fantastic for non-recording tasks -- easily amongst the best in the business.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Did you get the pair you ordered yet? Curious how they are. Word on amazon is these are made in China, not Austria. So they 'claim' no quality is lost but when stuff is sent to china it usually it, of course the company will say it isn't.

But anyway, only gonna get em if they are as good as the austrian made ones, since I don't really need them now since I got the Adam A7Xs. But they would def be nice to have for editing and stuff where I don't want to use the speakers.

edit: Figured id get them anyway since they are so cheap. And I've tried 2 different sellers, none ship to canada. Crappy!

Last edited:
2nd hand info, but I remember reading that the 701s are a little less detailed (and of course cheaper) than the 702s - not that they wouldn't still be great headphones. The overall opinion seems to be that the "Quincy" models are a bit more oriented towards casual listening (in other words, colored & bass heavy), but I haven't heard them myself. Any place to test these? That would be the best option...

edit: Figured id get them anyway since they are so cheap. And I've tried 2 different sellers, none ship to canada. Crappy!

Man, you've got bad luck!

The Q701s are an "Artist Version" of the K701, which are themselves a very slightly cut-down version of the K702.

EDIT: I found a different listing which a reviewer (from the other listing) claims is made in Austria, but the downside is that it's at regular price:
http://goo.gl/m5WnOh

Still great headphones for the price but not quite as exciting without the discount.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back