Are the AKG K240 still worth it?

I've been mixing on the 240's for years. It's not like they have gotten worse just because new models have come on the market - I think they're still solid. Semi-open or open-back is good unless you need to track with then, in which case leakage from the phones might be an issue. Mind you, I've recorded with them a lot as well, so at least at "bedroom" level volumes it's not a problem either. Here's a tip though - if you happen to be somewhere in Europe, the AKG K701 & 702s are super cheap at the moment - selling for about the half price they're worth at around 150€. They still seem to be around $300 in the US though.

i think AKG is overprized unless u do classic music. I`d rather have a Sennheiser HD201 (29€) over a AKG K141 Studio for 159€. The AKG may have less fatigue to the ear but the wearing comfort is better with the Sennheisers.
The AKGs are pretty neutral and Dynamic but very sensitive to Bass levels. I´D use them to analize but never to listen to modern music with heavy Bass. For this i would use my 9€ Headphones from the gas station.
I`ve owned and pwned over 20 pairs of headphones.
I deserve to be wined, dined and 69ed XD

Back