Advice on Tr09, Tr08, Tr8 vs samples and if worth buying for production purposes.

Os78

Hi all, wondered if anyone can give me a bit of advice on the above topic, or has any input that may sway my choice.

I produce detroit influenced house /tech kind of music and am just getting round to finishing my studio. I use ableton, push 2, a moog minitaur and a host of VST'S (both of which I control through the push2). I got into making music in the mid 90's on a quasimidi 309 and do like the hands on aspect of using hardware although I have no issues with and have embraced software in recent years. I do enjoy jamming but my main purpose is very much production rather than performances.

I always wanted to have a drum machine and almost bought the tr8 last year but reading reviews, saw it may not be the best for production purposes for various reasons, so although it was fun to demo I bought the minitaur instead, another reason I didn't buy was the fact it's not analogue coupled with the limitations for production swayed my decision.

I love the look of the Tr08 and 09 but are they worth the outlay for production purposes? Anything I can do with them that I couldn't with a good sample pack? Anyone produce with them and can give any advice on limitations/ plus's to a good sample pack. I'm aware they are also not analogue but as I've heard they are better for production than the tr8, that makes a bit of a difference for me.

I'm happy to drop the money not an issue but at same time I don't want to be best part of £900 down for something that can easily be replicated on my push2 with a decent sample pack, I'd be getting both the Tr08 and 09 which I hope to team up with a roland se02 to finish off my set up.

If you have any advice or review recommendations please let me know, thanks.

Last edited:
It might help if you discussed some of the features and/or drawbacks that you personally see as "limitations for production."

GJ

Back