Ableton Push worth it?

matthewm77

I'm thinking of getting Ableton for my new school laptop that I'm getting because FL Studio doesn't run that well in Mac. I was thinking of getting Push as well because it seems like it's a good tool and I think it would be fun to learn a controller. My concerns are whether it would be worth the money since I've never really had a controller based workflow before?

Push is cool but I think it's overpriced. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a midi controller because it's basically a piece of plastic that you will outgrow once you learn Ableton Live inside and out. You'll reach a point where you'll be so good in Live that a midi controller and even your computers mouse feels like it slows you down.

Push is cool but I think it's overpriced. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a midi controller because it's basically a piece of plastic that you will outgrow once you learn Ableton Live inside and out. You'll reach a point where you'll be so good in Live that a midi controller and even your computers mouse feels like it slows you down.

Yea I'm sort of close to or at that point in FL Studio, I know how it works really well and when I want to do something I know instantly how to do it. This is a really tough decision because idk if trying a new DAW out for fun and spending money on it is worth the impact to workflow. Push just sort of seemed like a fun new experience but maybe I should invest in Maschine instead? From a little bit of research it seems to be very similar but is more compatible with any DAW rather than Ableton alone.

I've tried both Maschine and Push and I will say as a hardcore 4 years Ableton user that Maschine is the better investment. Simply because you're actually paying for the software and not so much the controller. The workflow is sick in Maschine... as it is in Ableton but put it this way. You can get by without Push, Maschine can actually add something to your workflow because it can be brought in as a plugin and you can even take it to other DAWs if you feel Ableton isn't for you.

If you're going to spend that much money on a controller then Maschine all the way.

I've tried both Maschine and Push and I will say as a hardcore 4 years Ableton user that Maschine is the better investment. Simply because you're actually paying for the software and not so much the controller. The workflow is sick in Maschine... as it is in Ableton but put it this way. You can get by without Push, Maschine can actually add something to your workflow because it can be brought in as a plugin and you can even take it to other DAWs if you feel Ableton isn't for you.

If you're going to spend that much money on a controller then Maschine all the way.

So if I decide to stick with FL on the laptop which I'm heavily leaning towards right now then Maschine is still a good choice? I just have really been wanting to get some hardware in my studio lately and have been getting into making more complex drum patterns which Maschine seems to be a good option for?

So if I decide to stick with FL on the laptop which I'm heavily leaning towards right now then Maschine is still a good choice? I just have really been wanting to get some hardware in my studio lately and have been getting into making more complex drum patterns which Maschine seems to be a good option for?

Sure man, I mean... only you can say whether an additional controller or piece of software will benefit you but I think Maschine is awesome. The workflow is top notch and could probably speed things up for you. If not then the upside is that it has excellent resale value so if you ever want to sell it you won't be losing that much money.

Sure man, I mean... only you can say whether an additional controller or piece of software will benefit you but I think Maschine is awesome. The workflow is top notch and could probably speed things up for you. If not then the upside is that it has excellent resale value so if you ever want to sell it you won't be losing that much money.

Thats the only thing stopping me from buying it is whether I'll be getting my moneys worth. At this point I don't even use a controller so I'd have to work it into my projects. It seems like a great tool for drums so I could see it helping but idk.

Back