Ableton Problems HELP!

Barj

Hey Guys,

I am working on a big track its has about 80 layers and my ableton is now running 100% - 140% and it clips the track and just sounds distorted any help please?

Record your tracks into audio within Live to get rid of all your loaded plugins, this'll have a massive effect on your CPU usage. For the clipping, lower the volume of your plugins, if you are clipping in the mixer channels it doesn't actually help to just lower the faders in it, you need to go to the source and lower it there. In the device section down below of each track you should have a bunch of vertical dots in between all your loaded plugins, these are little output indicators that will show you if every subsequent plugin loaded is clipping as well, (for example you could have a VSTi loaded that doesn't clip, but an EQ that makes the signal come out clipping in the other end) these will be orange when they don't clip, and red in the top when they are. If you are clipping in the master output and nowhere else, you can simply lower the volume of your mixer channels by using the gain faders until it doesn't clip anymore. You will be able to see the highest peak of your master output right above the actual meters on your master channels in the form of a decibel amount.

Also this would probably be better off posted here; https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/hardware-software/software/daw-sequencers-samplers-software/

Also if everything else fails in regards to the cpu usage, the only solution is nothing short of getting a more powerful processor. Increasing the buffer size could help but is more of a work around than anything else. Best bet is to record your tracks to audio.

Last edited:
Record your tracks into audio within Live to get rid of all your loaded plugins, this'll have a massive effect on your CPU usage

...or just use the freeze function which'll essentially do the same thing but'll keep your effects there in case you need to go in and change something. Also negates the need to create additional audio tracks.

...or just use the freeze function which'll essentially do the same thing but'll keep your effects there in case you need to go in and change something. Also negates the need to create additional audio tracks.

Yeah that works too, it has its ups and downs though. The problem with that however is that it doesn't allow you to freeze if you have sidechain on it, but it isn't necessarily so hard to work around I suppose.

Last edited:
Yeah that works too, it has its ups and downs though. The problem with that however is that it doesn't allow you to freeze if you have sidechain on it, but it isn't necessarily so hard to work around I suppose.

True dat. But I don't think that should be a problem unless you're extensively using sidechaining for everything :)

True dat. But I don't think that should be a problem unless you're extensively using sidechaining for everything :)

I tend to sidechain a little bit of everything to what ever when I want something to hit every once and a while and come through the mix. I think I just made the habit of using audio tracks to for example record several synth effects to audio tracks so I don't end up with 20 midi tracks with powerful synths on them.

I tend to sidechain a little bit of everything to what ever when I want something to hit every once and a while and come through the mix. I think I just made the habit of using audio tracks to for example record several synth effects to audio tracks so I don't end up with 20 midi tracks with powerful synths on them.

And nothing wrong with that. Mainly I just wanted to point out the existence of the freeze feature, as recording everything into audio tracks can be somewhat tedious at times - it's just good to know there are a lot of things you can do at a situation like that of the OP's.

Back