The 808 is back...

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
Video:

Info: Roland - TR-08 | Rhythm Composer

Meme:

acb.jpg

Have you seen the TR-09? I like it but have no need for it at the moment.

Last edited:
Back for the gazillionth time. It's affordable and has the original's aesthetics in compact form, but there are so many options for getting those sounds by now that can't really get excited by this much anymore.

I'm interested! 10 outs over USB?? I have enough drums, but this one is getting adopted! Timely as I was just looking at the Aira version yesterday. I wonder if it can be modded to give an extra long decay on the kick.

Last edited:
Awesome but I'll pass. I looked at the little JP09 and TB03 before, but the stupid docking system put me off. It looked and felt cheap and flimsy to me and really tiny to work with my fat fingers.
I like big knobs and I cannot lie.

I also don't really need a (rather limited, let's be honest) analog drum machine with (again, let's be honest) the most overused and sampled drum sounds in human history.
But that's me and my money. If all you ever wanted was 'a real 808'... which I totally understand, I'm just not that guy... then this is the closest you'll get and for the money it'll be
a no brainer.

I also don't really need a (rather limited, let's be honest) analog drum machine with (again, let's be honest) the most overused and sampled drum sounds in human history.
But that's me and my money. If all you ever wanted was 'a real 808'... which I totally understand, I'm just not that guy... then this is the closest you'll get and for the money it'll be
a no brainer.

Yeah, my thoughts as well – although this isn't analog, it's the same Roland's proprietary ACB emulation that's been used in the Airas and Boutiques. For the "real 808" - besides the real 808 - I'd probably put my money on a Yocto or a Miami. But as said, this is great bang for the buck & most likely as close an emulation as it's gonna get (as in nobody's gonna care or notice anyway).

Yeah, my thoughts as well – although this isn't analog, it's the same Roland's proprietary ACB emulation that's been used in the Airas and Boutiques. For the "real 808" - besides the real 808 - I'd probably put my money on a Yocto or a Miami. But as said, this is great bang for the buck & most likely as close an emulation as it's gonna get (as in nobody's gonna care or notice anyway).

And here I was thinking it was analog... not that I'm a purist, far from it.. I love digital synths. But this is one where I do care.

ionno... I'm still a fan of Novation's DrumStation and Korg's ER-1 as far as hardware 808/909/606 sounds are concerned. I can't see myself spending
$350-$400 on a single unit when the Drum Station can handle both sound sets for $250-$300 used and the ER-1 does it for ~$150 used.

Back