How to have confidence when rapping?

ASAPChegs1

I'm a very shy guy and when I come on the mike I get very anxious and sweaty. Is there a way to gain confidence on the mike?

I'm going to ask you a question in return and then I want you to ponder the answer you give

name one thing that you are confident about doing and why is that so?????

Last edited:
I'm confident at rapping. I have a lot of lyrics and beats I made myself, but whenever I get up on the mike I freeze.

Those are the characteristics of someone who's not confident, so let's pretend you're not confident for a second and answer Bandcoaches question thoughtfully

I'm a very shy guy and when I come on the mike I get very anxious and sweaty. Is there a way to gain confidence on the mike?

I'm an artist as well, and initially I had the same problem as you. In my opinion, the best way to overcome this issue is to write songs where you're being honest and true to yourself. Don't cause yourself to look foolish in front of people that way you're confident when performing in front of people.

There's a difference between confidence and skill. Being a public performer and entertainer isn't just about the material. It's about entertaining. Keeping the audience interested.

You don't even have to be good at rapping to keep people entertained. Just look at the crew you took your name from. Most of them are garbage rappers, but they have an appeal that keeps the people comin' to the shows.

The ONLY way you're going to get accustomed to performing in front of people is to do so. That doesn't guarantee your success, but it'll put you on the right road.

Peace.

I'm good speaker so I can easily persuade people which is why i'm confident.

unfortunately you miss the point: something other than speaking or using words

something that is a skill you are confident in using whether on your own or in front of other people

If you write a song that you want to record, then you should try rapping the same song 50-100 times or more if needed. This will help you memorize the song, and this ability to recite it at ease will let you put more thought into the annunciation of certain syllables, words, and lines which will come off as confidence.

I think that's why most rappers are egomaniacs. They had to be to get passed that shyness or insecurity factor. Then, eventually; it just becomes who they are.

Start small, rapping around people you know. Get feedback. Take feedback with a grain of salt from some.
It comes down to just rapping your song over and over on your own.
Learn your lyrics, hand motions, acting stuff you would do on a stage.
Get that down pat.
From what you said about persuasion and speaking, you should have no problem.

This will sound crazy, but just have confidence brah!
Look at everyone and know they came to hear you lay it down. You own the stage.
You are up there, and they are not, they are watching you, so you run the show.

More extreme, pretend everyone around you are mere peasants, lower than you, and you are famous.
Walk up there, look at everyone in the crowd, dead in the eyes, and mean mug them as if you run the show.
OF course, be nice.

Last edited:
I understand how you feel. I rapped a little in the past and I sang too. I took a lot of singing classes before and it helped me a lot. There's a lot about relaxing and using your chest and different breathing techniques. I know this has to do with singing, but it applies the same way to rapping. You can't record your voice while trying to use your throat and mouth. It has to start from the chest, diaphragm, and your gut. Its about pushing the energy and force it out of your body. While doing all this you have to loosen up and feel relaxed. Don't get tense or nervous. I know it is awkward recording yourself and then hearing it back and its not what you want

Another big thing has do with a psychological thing. I know this sounds corny, but you have do a little mind control that you are the best. You are a star. You have to bring out a different side of you. Don't even think that your this guy that's trying to rap. Just think you are this beast on the mic. I read an interesting article on psychological things that singers go through when they sing, which pushes them way further. They switch gears and change who they are when they perform. You have to get in the zone, listen to the beat, really feel it and feel like something overtook your body. It's almost like this alter ego thing you have to develop to get all that good stuff out from deep within you. It's not even about trying to gain confidence, its about hypnotizing yourself in the beginning. Keep trying this and you'll eventually get use to it and do it like its nothing.

Last edited:

confidence comes with experience.

The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be. As you get more comfortable, you will be more confident.

As your skills improve, the more confident you will get.

The fact is, you may always have anxiety when you perform... many very experienced performers still get nervous before a performance.

Some say the more talented you are the more nervous you get... because you know the extent of your abilities and you know what you have to live up to.

Nome nervousness is part of the game.

You need to get used to it and embrace it. Use it to your advantage. make it work for you.

Back