Calling all of my street savy FP brethern..let's discuss Detroit's "No Fly Zone"

Modus Operandi

(G)ifted(O)rganic(D)eity
Calling all of my street savy FP brethern..let's discuss Detroit's "No Fly Zone"

As many of you may have read about over the weekend, Miami "kingpin" turned rapper, Rick Ross, was banned from performing at a Detroit Summer Jam,for which he was the headliner, by a group of an estimated 100 people who were allegedly affiliated with "The Godfather of Detroit", rapper Trick Trick aka Chris Mathis. This all stems from an incident that happened years ago between Jim Jones and Trick Trick,where shots were fired and jewels were robbed. Apparently, Jim Jones didn't "put in the call" and he was promptly approached for tax. Trick Trick then officially declared that no artists were allowed to perform in Detroit unless they consult with him first or their label signs Detroit artists. He dubbed the policy,"No Fly Zone" and has since had incidents with other rappers such as Plies,Trick Daddy(which he later squashed and said it was T.D's entourage that he had the beef with) and Rick Ross( twice).

This isn't the first time Ross was threatened in Detroit. The last time he was in the D his tour bus was vandalized and pillaged stemming from Ross throwing shots at Eminem while in a beef with 50 Cent. Trick has even released a single and a video for a song called, "No Fly Zone" which features Royce Da 5'9 and the hook says "All you had to do was make a call". Now, the promoter for the Summer Jam event announced,on stage to the crowd, "We tried to get Ross out here..he was here...but I aint gonna lie yall..he is in fear for his life". About a year ago, fellow Miami rapper Uncle Luke sent a letter of concern to Rick Ross urging him to stop the image as it will eventually lead to critical consequences. This was around the time Ross' Bentley was shot up as he traveled in it.

Now, what I wanna discuss...is this considered "real" or do you see it as a detriment for Detroit,whose economy is already pretty f*cked up? I,personally, think Trick is doing Detroit a disservice with this policy. Detroit is one slump away from being a wasteland and he shouldn't be running business away from there. I'm a fan of Trick ..have all of his albums and mixtapes ..however..nobody owes him anything. Instead of sending 100 goons to stop a rapper from performing...is he known for sending those same 100 to stop gang violence, clean up a community, speak to the youth or build homes?. Let's look at the facts: 1) Ross is definitely a main eventer...he didn't receive anything less than 100 Gs for his appearance and that's just his fee. That's not counting how they had to accomodate him (flight,hotel,catering,security for such a high value cliet). 2). Promoter lost out..he definitely paid up front 3). The fans had already bought a ticket. When I was a teen the summer jam was like 20 bucks a ticket..sit anywhere. I know it's way more and now due to music piracy. Let's say the venue held 15,000...you do the math. Somebody is in the red and the fans are pissed too. The promoter is really taking a hit.

SO, we're at : Ross got paid to do nothing, Detroit is still sh*tty economically, and Trick Trick upped his street cred even more? Who really won here? Rick Ross....that's who. From a street perspective, that sh*t is still bad for business. First off, you can't extort Rick Ross because he isn't gonna pay. Why? Because he knows you can't afford the heat that'll come behind something happening to him. Blood is a big expense and I don't think Trick has it like that..he has three strikes himself. The purpose of a "Godfather" is to look legit...eventually AnRs are gonna wise up and just stop going to the D all together....then what? Who's winning then? Let's discuss

I ain't street savvy from the ignorance glorifying aspect of Hip Hop but from an economics perspective I feel this incident is bad for Detroit and Trick seems like he wants the attention due to his street cred and Rick "not really like the real Ricky" Ross needs to quit with the false image.

Last edited:
Trick is harming the city..and Ross' image was solidified with me when he publicly stated that he would not pay the GDs and even rapped about it in a song. He then did a show in the Chi and went on stage solo in a long ass mink and they cheered him. I believe Ross is now so embedded in his character that it's dangerous for him but he definitely believes his own raps.

Mathis is basically gaining social credit by helping destroy his city. They lost a significant amount of future revenues from this incident. How long before other artists quit playing there altogether? Artists quit performing, the venue has no tickets to sell, kids can't work the booths, no security, no money being spent..Brilliant. At least, Mathis comes up from it.

Then when all that goes down, Mathis will cry that the corporations don't want to support Detroit and they're just culture vultures...when in reality, he's helping to destroy his own community.

I've now been told by one of my D affiliates that the protest was because when someone jokingly barbed at Ross about the "No Fly Zone" rule..he basically said f*ck Trick within earshot of some industry guys with close ties to Trick and they reported it accordingly. Trick then tried to reach out to Ross to gain clarity of what he really said and Ross refused. Apparently, this happened months prior to last weekend's incident. He should've privately handled that if that's the case and not push money away from the city.

What a great idea for helping your dying city-extorting the people bringing revenue to your town!
It must've been a musty affair, with nearly 3000 niggas without running water for weeks.

Detroit has cut off the water supply to thousands of residents

With that being said, I KNOW Trick ain't trying them white folks like that. Nigga gon' run up on the Rolling Stones like, "Ya come to tha D an not folla da protacalll...", lol

Last edited:
100 goons could not stop this:

As black folk, we play to much. An emergency manager....WTF!?

I GET what Trick Trick is doing though...he's trying, he's an acolyte of the only cat in Detroit I respect and would "check in with" :

Zoom in the "Pastor Porkchop" part....REAL SHYT...preacher's will get at you about this money..protect yourself and assume EVERYONE will!

100 black men should have blocked that city hall door!

Not to point out the irony of your post Bloody Glove but have you taken a look at the amazing amount of corruption that has been going on in the mayors office for the last 20 years? That is why they voted in a white mayor, because they were sick and tired of getting f*cked by their own and needed something different to hopefully bring things back around especially after Kilpatrick.

Ross has everything to lose... Trick Trick has everything to gain.

Trick Trick should be Rick Ross... I like his music... Ross played the game right... people get mad when you do that.

I'm humbled now, I didn't play the game right. I'm Trick Trick kinda, ha ha. Smelt!!!! teded my own shat.

Trick and Ross are in the same game, claiming territory Barack Owns.

Barack = Mo gangsta than all of 'em....

Put the city of Detroit up against them gun ships Farrakhan told y'all about... No Fly Zone for real.

Apache Helicopters...

Last edited:
As many of you may have read about over the weekend, Miami "kingpin" turned rapper, Rick Ross, was banned from performing at a Detroit Summer Jam,for which he was the headliner, by a group of an estimated 100 people who were allegedly affiliated with "The Godfather of Detroit", rapper Trick Trick aka Chris Mathis. This all stems from an incident that happened years ago between Jim Jones and Trick Trick,where shots were fired and jewels were robbed. Apparently, Jim Jones didn't "put in the call" and he was promptly approached for tax. Trick Trick then officially declared that no artists were allowed to perform in Detroit unless they consult with him first or their label signs Detroit artists. He dubbed the policy,"No Fly Zone" and has since had incidents with other rappers such as Plies,Trick Daddy(which he later squashed and said it was T.D's entourage that he had the beef with) and Rick Ross( twice).

This isn't the first time Ross was threatened in Detroit. The last time he was in the D his tour bus was vandalized and pillaged stemming from Ross throwing shots at Eminem while in a beef with 50 Cent. Trick has even released a single and a video for a song called, "No Fly Zone" which features Royce Da 5'9 and the hook says "All you had to do was make a call". Now, the promoter for the Summer Jam event announced,on stage to the crowd, "We tried to get Ross out here..he was here...but I aint gonna lie yall..he is in fear for his life". About a year ago, fellow Miami rapper Uncle Luke sent a letter of concern to Rick Ross urging him to stop the image as it will eventually lead to critical consequences. This was around the time Ross' Bentley was shot up as he traveled in it.

Now, what I wanna discuss...is this considered "real" or do you see it as a detriment for Detroit,whose economy is already pretty f*cked up? I,personally, think Trick is doing Detroit a disservice with this policy. Detroit is one slump away from being a wasteland and he shouldn't be running business away from there. I'm a fan of Trick ..have all of his albums and mixtapes ..however..nobody owes him anything. Instead of sending 100 goons to stop a rapper from performing...is he known for sending those same 100 to stop gang violence, clean up a community, speak to the youth or build homes?. Let's look at the facts: 1) Ross is definitely a main eventer...he didn't receive anything less than 100 Gs for his appearance and that's just his fee. That's not counting how they had to accomodate him (flight,hotel,catering,security for such a high value cliet). 2). Promoter lost out..he definitely paid up front 3). The fans had already bought a ticket. When I was a teen the summer jam was like 20 bucks a ticket..sit anywhere. I know it's way more and now due to music piracy. Let's say the venue held 15,000...you do the math. Somebody is in the red and the fans are pissed too. The promoter is really taking a hit.

SO, we're at : Ross got paid to do nothing, Detroit is still sh*tty economically, and Trick Trick upped his street cred even more? Who really won here? Rick Ross....that's who. From a street perspective, that sh*t is still bad for business. First off, you can't extort Rick Ross because he isn't gonna pay. Why? Because he knows you can't afford the heat that'll come behind something happening to him. Blood is a big expense and I don't think Trick has it like that..he has three strikes himself. The purpose of a "Godfather" is to look legit...eventually AnRs are gonna wise up and just stop going to the D all together....then what? Who's winning then? Let's discuss

Detroit is already economically depressed. Shutting down another source of revenue is a brilliant move(lol). Detroit and Chicago, I dont know which one is worse as far as deplorable living conditions. It's also a poor refelection on Detroit's police that they can let 100 goons amass without forcing them to disperse. It only hurts Detroit. If a Black rapper with security has to worry about his safety how do you think non black business owners and investors feel about doing business in the city. These dudes don't think. Trick Trick is an ignorant ass goon who thinks like one instead of thinking like a businessman from the streets like J Prince from Rap alot. Trick Trick is hired muscle but he doesnt have the intelligence to be the head of an illegal operation. He's a head bussa. That's about it. This is the same man who robbed and assaulted harmless Lil Berg.

Last edited:
Ross will do what he need to and cut a check on the low. Period. This will save both Trick and Ross rep. If not Trick has a rep to protect and...

For all yall actin like this is stoppin Detroits economic revival...need to stop!

why should he allow himself to be extorted? - it is a racket and because it crosses state lines (the demands are made in another state with a statement that we will prohibit you from entering our state and city if you do not pay up) it falls under the RICO statutes at both federal and state levels

only problem is no-one is complaining about it and no-one with the jurisdiction is assed about following through

Ross will do what he need to and cut a check on the low. Period. This will save both Trick and Ross rep. If not Trick has a rep to protect and...

For all yall actin like this is stoppin Detroits economic revival...need to stop!

It sure doesnt begin Detroits road to recovery either. Trick Trick is a clown. Usually when you extort someone, it's not a highly publicized event. That brings attention to your criminal enterprise. I heard about all the haters and crabs in the barrel types in Philly, but I'm starting to view Detroit too as a hating azz town full of broke depressed dudes. Shitty weather, shitty town, shitty attitude. I see the connection. Dj House Shoes once said the weather sucked and it was a depressing town.

Last edited:
I think the Detroit artists were trying to shine the light on themselves...its worked, and they're trying to make their city look tough.

Dj House Shoes once said the weather sucked and it was a depressing town.
-Is that from the j dilla doc...??

Since im here... ill toss some change in the bucket....

I can see both sides....

Does it help the city.... No
Does it hurt the city... Music acts ... Yes

But lets be honest businesses aint planning on moving to detroit no time soon.....
-Maybe after a Katrina hits... then they can move all the untouchables out...

Last edited by a moderator:
So Rick Ross got $100,000 to pull up to the gate, and then bounce.

(cuz you KNOW Ross didn't even get on the plane until his money was right)

And Trick Trick got what? Internet bragging rights?

Detroit lost. Detroit businesses lost. Because when a major artist comes to town, local businesses benefit.

Did Trick's actions get any artists from Detroit signed? Did he get them any radio play? Did he get them any publishing deals? Did he even get them any more YOUTUBE HITS?

No.

Rick Ross got a free check. And Trick Trick f'ed over Detroit businesses.

Yeah....way to go.

While I know cats in the Chi don't play...Detroit cats do not play. The cats I know from Detroit have all been real cool but on that G sh!t. We will see how this plays out.

Rick Ross trying his hardest not to look like he got punked by sayin he got paid but if you notice in his reply he ain't goin at Trick hard at all. Ross wasn't going to bring some great economic recovery with him by comin to town signing an artist or two. He wasn't goin to Detroit to SPEND money.

Ross was goin to MAKE money. Everywhere he went if he went anywhere would have been comp'd on some celebrity sh!t. Would he have brought people out probably to a club for an after party but there was NO meaningful business going to benefit or business being conducted. Yall puttin too much thought into this.

...talks underway to clear the air. Don't be surprised if you see a Rick Ross feature on the next Trick project (Trick win). This will allow both EGO's to remain intact both win and Trick will remove the no fly zone. Ross gets to keep his gangsta persona ( Ross win).

About that RICO act...really?

Last edited:
Back