Good Production Headphones?

DJ RETHINK

Hey guys! im looking for some Good Production Headphones. Im a DJ and producer looking for some new headphones. I currently have ok headphones. My price range is $100-$350. can you help me out? thanks. Much Love.

-DJ RETHINK

I use Beyerdynamics DT880 Pro. I'm pretty satisfied with them. Although, they're semi-open, so I guess they wouldn't fit for a live set.

I use the AKG K702's and the sound is fantastic! The stereo image is amazing, you can really hear everything that's going on. The bass response isn't the best but it's good enough I'd say!

Well if your gunna be dj'ng you need some comfy headphones that fit real good when you're playing long shows. These might do the trik ;)
skullcandy-ti-chick-pink-fluffy-headphones.jpg

Audio Technica M50 ($150) LONG WIRE SO YOU CAN MOVE AROUND AS YOU DJ AND THE EAR PLUGS FLIP SO YOU HAVE A FREE EAR IF YOU WANT.. PLUS THE SOUND IS REAL PROFESSIONAL

Lol. Each of my recommendations from earlier in the thread has someone backing it.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I agree with the ATH-M50s. I was using Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for like a year, and bought a pair of ATH-M50s. For the ~$50 price difference, the sound is much better in my opinion.

I agree with the ATH-M50s. I was using Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for like a year, and bought a pair of ATH-M50s. For the ~$50 price difference, the sound is much better in my opinion.

Is *better* really preferable, though?

What sounds *better* might not be more accurate...

-Ki
Salem Beats

Is *better* really preferable, though?

What sounds *better* might not be more accurate...

-Ki
Salem Beats

Better, as in more flat. That's what you'd be going for with production/monitor headphones, right? I feel like the HD280 Pros have a slightly more augmented low end.

Better, as in more flat. That's what you'd be going for with production/monitor headphones, right? I feel like the HD280 Pros have a slightly more augmented low end.

They're both actually pretty bass-heavy for "studio/monitoring/mixing" headphones:

graphCompare.png

If I had to pick between the two, though, I'd pick the Sennheiser because the bass boost curve is more natural. The M50 is wider-reaching with a weird large dip. I could mentally compensate for the "natural" curve of the 280s a lot more easily.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
They're both actually pretty bass-heavy for "studio/monitoring/mixing" headphones:

View attachment 40981

If I had to pick between the two, though, I'd pick the Sennheiser because the bass boost curve is more natural. The M50 is wider-reaching with a weird large dip. I could mentally compensate for the "natural" curve of the 280s a lot more easily.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I own both of them, and test with both. To me, the bass is noticeable louder on the 280s and the high end is indeed wider on the M50s. This is not with any documentation to tell me this, this is just what I can hear.

I own both of them, and test with both. To me, the bass is noticeable louder on the 280s and the high end is indeed wider on the M50s. This is not with any documentation to tell me this, this is just what I can hear.

I guess we're getting into perceptions and semantics then, because unless you have a broken set of headphones, the charts are accurate. :/

It depends on how you perceive and define the word "bass". If you're talking about what I would refer to as "rumble", then I'd agree that the Senns are more "bass"-heavy.

However, I mostly agree with the chart's definition of bass as extending to mostly 180-200ish Hz, and by that definition of "bass", the M50s are definitely more bass-heavy.

If you picked trap music and/or dubstep for your sample selection, that might skew your interpretation (as many songs in these styles bury their "bass" drums and instruments into the very lowest frequencies). Perhaps the lack of contrast by a reduced "air" band is making you feel that they're more bass-heavy (comparing bass to "sparkle/air" band rather than to mids).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I guess we're getting into perceptions and semantics then, because unless you have a broken set of headphones, the charts are accurate. :/

It depends on how you perceive and define the word "bass". If you're talking about what I would refer to as "rumble", then I'd agree that the Senns are more "bass"-heavy.

However, I mostly agree with the chart's definition of bass as extending to mostly 180-200ish Hz, and by that definition of "bass", the M50s are definitely more bass-heavy.

If you picked trap music and/or dubstep for your sample selection, that might skew your interpretation (as many songs in these styles bury their "bass" drums and instruments into the very lowest frequencies). Perhaps the lack of contrast by a reduced "air" band is making you feel that they're more bass-heavy (comparing bass to "sparkle/air" band rather than to mids).

-Ki
Salem Beats

It just sounds like a lower overall low end coming from the Senns. I'm not saying the chart is inaccurate, it looks about right. Perhaps it's the dip in the hi frequencies from them that makes it seem more low-heavy. And this is gathered from listening to a very wide range of music.

Regardless, both are great headphones. To the OP, pick a solid pair of monitoring headphones. I would just recommend getting to know your headphones really well, and test on as many different headphones/speakers/systems as possible.

I would just recommend getting to know your headphones really well, and test on as many different headphones/speakers/systems as possible.

Those charts at Headroom are a great way to accelerate this process. :D

-Ki
Salem Beats

I can't suggest you something good but i suggest you to not take Beats By Dre. These headphones sucks. Too expensive and you buy only a brand.

My AKG 271's (MkII) have finally died a death, the high's sounded crisp and well defined, defined but a little weak low end, absolutely incredible mid range, they sounded lovely, but I found mixing with them a little unreliable, when I tried the mixes on them on the monitors. I'm looking at a budget of 150 pounds sterling (250 Dollars) from what's been posted it's looking like a toss up between sennheiser hd280/hd360/380/ or the audio T's m50, anyone throw (affordable) others into the mix/ pardon the pun?

Back