Want to gain experience before I start my label

JMD_Music

I really wanted to gain some experience in the music business. I live in NJ in a small town and there’s really not much talent near me. I live at home, go to school online, and don’t have a job so I have a lot of free time I really want to use in order to gain some valuable experience in the music business. I was wondering if there were some things I’d be able to do from home. I want to be able to build some sort of relationships with important people. Just curious if you guys knew of some stuff I could do from my bedroom. Like managing a producer/songwriter. Shopping their music to different A&R's, stuff like that.

Where do you live in NJ? But if you wanna try to network with managers your gonna have to find contact information online. since your not leaving your home. You can usually find information about labels on the back of Albums like there address. Try to find a directory of some sort. How much of the music business do you know?

My Uncle live in Roselle. Do you have any Producers, Rappers, singers, Promoters, have any connections with Recording Studios or one of your own?

What kind of label are you trying to Make? hip hop etc? Cause you can make a label without having to leave jersey and you just have to make connections. Do you have capital(Money)?

I suggest using twitter,linkedin,facebook,and youtube to your advantage

create real and positive relationships through these mediums get ppl's numbers
best thing you can do at this point

once you build relationships you can receive advice

I also say any bars,clubs anything that does entertainment work there for free (always try to get paid) wash dishes,sweep the floor
ask can you help out the acts that come through

there's got to be some entertainment there

or in the next town over

might be hard to buy a car without a job
maybe borrow your mom's car

but have your pitch together before you ever approach venue owners

I can't believe there's not one rapper or producer in your town
I don't know I live in Omaha,NE and our population is 500,000 not much
ppl think it's all corn fields here but Omaha is like the New York City of Nebraska
folks from all over Nebraska and Iowa come here
because of the abundance of entertainment,the amazing zoo,the downtown atmosphere stuff like that

I guess that would be Newark or Trenton I don't even know how close NYC is to you
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I see you only have 20,000 ppl in your town

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Trust me when I say there is no entertainment where I'm from or the areas in which I live in. No artists either. I've tried reverbnation but not much. I'm about to look over the people signed up there again but don't expect to see anyone new.

The town isn't the issue cause i live in Newark and Roselle is only 15 mins away from where im living. but i totally agree with @Fataltone you have to get out your house if you gonna find a good way to start your label with nothing. You have nothing to offer a Artist right now. but the way i see it starting for you is trying to find a artist and becoming there manager.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

believe me there are always artist your not gonna find them on reverbnation.com if you dont have anything to offer them.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Your gonna have to step out of your comfort zone if your gonna want to have a successful label. Even being a manager your gonna need connections. Start networking heavy with producers, dj's, promoters. Cause for you to get a artist your gonna have to show them that you can help them achieve there goals.

So you think I should start making relationships with those people in different states because I'm not running the label from NJ.

Whatever state your in make the connections there.If your in NJ you can connect with people in NJ,NY,Pa, and CT. Being in NJ makes you centralized for marketing and making connections. like i said before your gonna have to make connections with other people so you can offer your artist something.

Whatever state your in make the connections there.If your in NJ you can connect with people in NJ,NY,Pa, and CT. Being in NJ makes you centralized for marketing and making connections. like i said before your gonna have to make connections with other people so you can offer your artist something.

you have the whole eastern shoreboard at your disposal
some many big cities in your area now!!!! if Newark is 15mins away you need to go there and meet artists,producers
make connections for the long run even if you're not on the east coast when you start you label

what do I know about the music business???
what is my value to an artist???

this is what you should be asking yourself

figure out that first

like I said building true relationships with music business professionals in a must

I suggest starting a website that centers around Pop/Rnb

and write original articles
interview Pop/RnB artists on the come up

man you have to use the internet to your advantage

get a website up now!!!!!

hostbaby is free for 30 days has everything you need

just add Aweber $1 for the first 30 days

or go with Eblogger I think it's called

get a internet presence dude....

build some credibility

learn everything you can about the music business

google is a powerful tool use it man

I'll have a 7 tip e-book coming out soon
I'll make sure you have it because I believe you're passionate about wanting to do this
but you don't have a clue on the steps to take
besides moving to another state

I'm not clowning you at all man

pick the brains of the ppl right on this forum

you're going to school for business use that towards your advantage

you going to have to travel to other cities while in your small city
you just got to

right now my focus for the next 18 months is building a bigger internet presence and as always more relationships

you have to build credibility to start a record label using other artists

most that start a indie label are artists or a producer themselves

SINCE YOU'RE NEITHER YOU NEED TO

1.credibility
2.business knowledge
3.connections
4.money
5.a killer mouthpiece and charisma(you have to be like Don King make ppl believe you got the stuff fake it till you can make it)

work hard on the five things I listed for your skill-set

get busy young homie

YOU CAN DO IT

-Coach Antonio

I understand what you're saying. I really don't know much but I'm really eager to learn as much as I can.

then get at it
google and read till your eyes hurt

and suggest making a name for yourself on forums,youtube,twitter,reverbnation

I'm The Walking On Water Media-Ent. Business Coach

who are you?????

answer that sir

-Coach Antonio

As stated, in order to build relationships, you have to network and get face time with people. It's hard to get to know people from your bedroom.

However, what you CAN do from your bedroom is study. Go to your local library or a book store and pick up a book or two written about the music business. Learn the basics about copyrights, licensing, publishing, record deals, contracts, royalties, etc. You mentioned that you don't know much about the music business, so it's going to be hard to have an intelligent conversation with anybody IN the music business if you don't know your P's and Q's.

I think one thing I'm going to do along with reading all tons of information is find an artist to manage. Write press kits, manage, promote them, get them to work with some producers on songwriting gigs. It'll get my name out there a little bit.

Planning to read some books including this one

Amazon.com: Start and Run Your Own Record Label, Third Edition (Start & Run Your Own Record Label) (9780823084630): Daylle Deanna Schwartz: Books

find someone on the internet who is starting a label offer to do internet based tasks for them for free
do this for as many start-up indie labels as possible don't worry if the company doesn't become successful or suddenly dies
you'll gain a relationship and some real knowledge to add to your own presskit/about us section of your website

this is what I have been doing secretly but I guess the cat is out the bag now lol...

-Coach Antonio

Back