Massive Bass Tips

RaeTheBastard

Guy who knows a lot
Massive Bass Tips

Here are a few little tips and tricks I use when I want a massive bass sound:
  • EQ EQ EQ EQ!!!! Eq'ing is one of the best ways to boost your bass, as everyone already knows, I cannot stress how important it is.
  • Layer! Layer unobtrusive sine waves over your original bass sound at lower volumes to give it more deepness. Experiment with transposing one layer down an octave, up an octave etc.
  • Strong thumpy attack: Create an instrument rack and drop your bass sound in it(obvious Live user is obvious). For the next part, you can use a sample, or I've found the preset for a 606 kick works pretty well. In any case, choose a deep thumpy kick drum with not too much high frequency sounds. Drop this in the instrument rack along with your bass. Adjust levels. Now your bass sound will have a massive, punchy attack.
Enjoy and give me feedback!​

You should add compression to that list.

You techniques are good, but I feel a bit of compression with a slow enough attack to let attack of the 606 sample though will emphasise the attack even more. Your release setting will be quite important though, a short release will make the sounds more in your face, but it will also add a touch of distortion, due to the longer wavelengths of the lower frequencies. This distortion however might works wonders for the bass sound in the mix.

i actually want to know what is up with the scream knob. i mean is their a proper term for it because i would like to work with it more.

edit: are we talking about NI Massive by the way? lol

Last edited:
I'm sure you can find one. This is a pretty basic tutorial as you can tell, no need to overcomplicate things if you can just use another sample, but yes you could LP it.

Sorry.....I didn't notice the word basic in the title and I didn't realise that using an LP was complicated.....forgive me also for giving feedback....I thought I read it somewhere in the first post
.ok...reading back that sounds harsh...sorry.

look usinv an LP for something like that is a good practice....that is why I wrote it...and no its not complicated

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. It's not complicated, no. But I just think it's better to pick a sample that doesn't have that poppy attack, especially because it'll have a better tone for the sound. But yes, you are absolutely right, there would be nothing wrong with applying an LPF to the sample.

You should post a tutorial on that for other people who are wondering

sounds like a plan but my room isn't treated well enough for that. and if you're like me i hate listening to anything on youtube without all that room reverb lol.plus i don't know any software that lets me record myself visually like that.

Or, well, you could just open up the manual and read what it does. I guess no one just does that any more :)

i would but there's just a lot of the terminologies and words that i just cannot understand. sometimes i get lucky and just pick up on their meaning. others, smh. for example there's the scream knob found on filter 1 just below the preset selector screen. is that the proper term? scream knob?

Last edited:
Back