getting an agent

rockstar747

For an artist I can understand that you need to perform everywhere and maybe an agent will see you, but for a producer what's the best way to apprach an agent? Do they even listen to instrumentals by unsigned producers? I've tried networking/sending music and got some encouraging feedback from industry people but obviously to pursue as a career I need to start getting paid placements.

I've tried many sites that claim to get your music to A&Rs. One even said they wanted it for a 50 cent album if I would just pay them some more money! Never heard back from them since.

Last edited:
you need to build a internet presence and make your sites interesting reasons for ppl to come and visit them
you need a manager not an agent
there are credibable places to submit your music such as TAXI: record deals, publishing deal, film TV placement, recording your music, songwriting

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio/press kit writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources
I AM SWAG "SAINT WITH A GIFT"
"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"
"My Lord is not black or white he's GLORIOUS"

Last edited:
For an artist I can understand that you need to perform everywhere and maybe an agent will see you, but for a producer what's the best way to apprach an agent? Do they even listen to instrumentals by unsigned producers? I've tried networking/sending music and got some encouraging feedback from industry people but obviously to pursue as a career I need to start getting paid placements.

I've tried many sites that claim to get your music to A&Rs. One even said they wanted it for a 50 cent album if I would just pay them some more money! Never heard back from them since.

Why are you looking for an agent? Is it because you want to reach artist, so they can hear your beats? At this point in your career, what can an agent do for you that you can do for yourself?

I ask these questions because because most producer look for A&R, agents, managers, and label to bring possible collaborations. The downside is that those are the same jobs that are slowly fading out of existence in today music business. New, up an coming, artists are taking control of their careers every day; and now, producers are too.

On the other hand, if you have too many things happening for you, in your music career, that you can't handle it all yourself then you may want to look at hiring a manager or agent. Remember though, these guy's will usually take 10 to 15% of what they bring to the table. In other words, you need to make $10,000 per month so your manager can $1000 -$1500 in commission.

There are a lot of hustler in this business, and one their only goals is to get money from amateurs. Remain cautious of people who promise you the world on a platter because, most of the time, they're just preying on you dreams and ambitions. I hope this help put things into prospective for you.

I'm looking for a manger to get remix work for artists and or placements with bigger names. I wouldn't mind them taking a cut if I was able to get the work.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a manger to get remix work for artists and or placements with bigger names. I wouldn't mind them taking a cut if I was able to get the work.

Of coarse you wouldn't mind paying, it's the managers who need to be sure that you can pay their terms. You need to make a minimum amount per month to be taken seriously by professional managers. It needs to be worth it for them, which means they expect performers to be making money already. How much money do you make every month from your music? Can you prove it? You won't have any problems getting an experienced manager if you can show them the money, like Jerry McGuire. Once you can show them their minimum monthly income, you'll be bombarded with management companies and labels.

Last edited:
If I was already making enough money from my music, I wouldn't need help getting placements.

most of the artists you see on BET, who get Grammy Adwards have managers
so I have to say not true
most work with a mangement company and deal with one to two of their managers to make sure you get quality services

If I was already making enough money from my music, I wouldn't need help getting placements.

That's not true. If you were being loaded down with too many placements, then you would be in desperate need of a manager. Management companies prioritize their client. The top earners get first dibs at gigs, and the opportunities go down hill from there. It takes time and dedication to get placements because competition is thick, and the money holder have tons of people to choose from. Therefore, they gravitate towards working with people who give them the most return for their money. It's always about the money, when it comes to business.

This is the natural structure of business for performers.

• Create good music
  • Build a large following of fans
  • Get those fan to show up at your shows
  • Encourage your fans to buying your merchandise
  • Track that sales data
  • Incorporate the sales data into your online press kit
  • Use your music to promote other people products or services
Note: You don't need a companies permission to make a demo commercial. Make some Sprite, Nike, or any other type of commercial and copyright it with the the Library of Congress. Once you have the official registration number, send your commercial to those companies and await responses.

Nobody will ever be able to sell your music better than you. You are your best representation. The people that help look to you as their provider, it shouldn't be the other way around. You may not like what I'm telling you, but it's the truth. I'm willing to help anyone who can prove they can carry their own weight. Most of us have already experienced the procrastination of others who claim they can help us. I'm living proof that anyone can learn to be more social and build their own business. I decided to become more social after noticing that antisocial musicians don't have the success that I want to see. Business came afterward, and now I work with companies like at&t and help local musicians to make money at gigs. By far though, at&t pay the most money which is why I spend more marketing and promoting their services. My niche is slightly different from yours, but the principles are the same.

If you want someone to help you, find a way to help them. Of coarse there are exception to everything in life, but I wouldn't wait around for someone else to see how exceptional you are. Contact me if you want to know how to make money with your music. I can point you in the right direction, and put you on the path of needing a manager; instead wanting one.

Check out this article. Future articles may include getting placements, if my followers request this info.

A&R, agents, managers, and label to bring possible collaborations. The downside is that those are the same jobs that are slowly fading out of existence in today music business. New, up an coming, artists are taking control of their careers every day; and now, producers are too.

are you saying "connects" are DEAD??

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

You need to make a minimum amount per month to be taken seriously by professional managers

...makes perfect sense...

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

You need to make a minimum amount per month to be taken seriously by professional managers

...makes perfect sense...

most work with a mangement company and deal with one to two of their managers to make sure you get quality services

That's not really my point. First you have to earn a living before even thinking about awards etc. If anyone has advice on finding a manager that would be great, thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

That's not really my point. First you have to earn a living before even thinking about awards etc. And as I'm not a performer it's not like you can establish a fanbase until you've worked with big/known artists.

are you saying "connects" are DEAD??

Not completely dead, but no longer the most reliable way to get placements or find work. The people in those position had to raise the minimum expectation required by artist whom desire their services for making more money. A&R, agents, managers, etc. are all under pressure to find the next big act; so they can get that act to sign a 360 deal, or something similar to it. That will be about the time that people start coming out of the wood works to bring you placements, and rife your coattail, because it pays to know the right people at the right time.

Everyone wants to know what's in it for them. Art is in music, money is in business. Handle your business everyday, while remaining artistic, and watch your finances grow and blossom. Procrastinate and you'll find yourself financially bankrupt. No one but God can help you get placements at that point.

Congrads on wanting to do more with your music! I don't manage artist anymore, but I did for a time and it did not matter if they were artist or they were producers, I handled them the same. Most people I know that mange artist look at it the same way. It does matter what you do. It only matters how soon can I get my money back. What it my ROI? And can this person or group of persons succeed in this business?

You need to start with two words....marketable and profitable. My advice is to first make yourself as marketable as you can and you have to be able to show that you can be profitable. I know that you are thinking well if you were making money what would you need a manager for, but that is the wrong way to look at it. You need a fanbase, it doesnt matter that you are not an artist...look at deadmau5 he is not an artist, but his grassroots fans helped him grow to what he is today. In my experience a good manager will want the following things from you before they will even think about working with you.....

Professional sounding music
Professional bio and professional photos
A mailing list of fans at least 3000 to 5000
Your monthly income with your music (I would have wanted to see a min. of 3 to 5k regularly with your music)

As an artist manager I would want to triple everything that you are already doing in exchange for 15 to 20% of any monies that you make. So if you have say 5000 fans and you could show that you are making 5000 a month then my goal would be to triple that figure in a certain time period. So if the goal was $15,000 a month in itunes, t-shirts, shows, etc. at 20 percent that would only net me $3000. That $3000 can go real fast in promotions if you are starting out with nothing, you have to bring something to the table besides your music and a will to succeed IMO. I would do a little more focusing on building your brand first.

check out my site I have some great business articles under my
Walking on Water Blog
just click on the banner in my signautre below enjoy

Not completely dead, but no longer the most reliable way to get placements or find work

i can dig it...so who's the new "go-to-guy" now??

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

A mailing list of fans at least 3000 to 5000
Your monthly income with your music (I would have wanted to see a min. of 3 to 5k regularly with your music)

what's the big deal about a mailing list??

a minimum of $3,000 - $5,000 per month PRE-MANAGEMENT??? MANAGERS sound like people that just wanna profit from someone else's work, music, and talent.

i can dig it...so who's the new "go-to-guy" now??

I am...duh!

lol

Nah, but really, the "go-to-guy" is the one who knows the most people; and, the one who knows whats needed. The best "go to guy" is the one who knows when to take matters into his own hands, and when to listen. My suggestion, go to God within yourself and work your a*s off. I know, I know, I know... this industry is all about name dropping and all that, but results are what I look for in a "go to guy."

Therefore, I am the "go to guy."

Last edited:
Back