Are you picky when sampling?

Nicro

So I was watching an interview with The Alchemist the other day and got to thinking. In the interview he said he will have an idea of the beat he wants to make and dig through records until he finds exactly what he is looking for or something close enough that he can tweak it to what he wants. In that thread for the 9th beat making vid, he says something similar.

Do any of you guys do this?

I never have myself. If I come across a dope sample I flip it. I think that is what creates the diversity of my beats. If I find some dark evil piano I'll go and flip that, then right after I might loop up some chill jazz then do some up beat soul or something. I never set out trying to go for anything in particular.

Sometimes I think I am too picky. There are times I will spend days, even weeks looking for that right sample.

I'm rather random, so far I've randomly made stuff and preconcieved ideas and produced based on that.

i got that a&r ear - its like getting a shock of electricity i dont know how describe this feeling but i know when its a hit i jus know an i feel it in my soul . thats how i know how to pick samples or music in general whats hot or not..
its called an (IT) factor only a few greats feel the same way ..

same as nomolo i be searchen for days even weeks ..

Last edited:
I am extremely picky. I do not believe in settling on what falls on my lap.

i got that a&r ear - its like getting a shock of electricity i dont know how describe this feeling but i know when its a hit i jus know an i feel it in my soul . thats how i know how to pick samples or music in general whats hot or not..
its called an (IT) factor only a few greats feel the same way ..

same as nomolo i be searchen for days even weeks ..
A&rs dont hear that kinda shit lol. They couldnt tell a hit record from a hole in their chest.

A&rs dont hear that kinda shit lol. They couldnt tell a hit record from a hole in their chest.

Agreed.

And your a "great" eh Truth?

Anyway, I don't preconceive. I mean if I find some dope sample I'm not gonna pass it up just because it isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
i'm not really picky. at times i'll have the kind of sample in mind, but during the process of finding it, i might come across a sample that i know i could flip but might not be in the mood to, and i'll flip it anyway.

not picky when I sample, but picky when I finish beats and export them, I suppose that's why i have about 10 almost-finished beats for every finished track I end up exporting...

When I am going through samples, and I find the one that I like, Ill go ahead and and flip it. My collection or knowledge is not at that stage where I am like okay I need some sick piano, strings and sax, such and such record should have it. Most of the time its sample that guides the beatmaker. Its the producers that guide the sample.

dj premier said something similar , taking him weeks or even months to find that sample thats in his head...as of lately ive been particular about genre , ie something jazzy,dark,funky etc.. depending on mood and what im feeling at the moment,,that narrows it down as opposed to looking thru my samples and grabbing something random

it depends, if I know who the beat is for etc I might be a bit picky, but often when i just wanna make a beat/practice i just pick up a random record and make it my mission to make a beat outta something on it.. even though every song on the record is awfull.. some of those beats turned out great.. if you havent been sampling for a long time and/or have a great ear its hard to hear the full potential of a beat before you really dig into the parts of it and chop it up..

I just listen till I find something that catches my ear

this is basically my process a lot of the time. sometimes its nice to just have multiple ideas floating around in your head until you hear something in the sample but if you let the sample guide you all the time i feel like you might lose out on creativity sometimes.

I am extremely picky. I do not believe in settling on what falls on my lap..
I agree but latly I just been trying to work with any sample it might triger a new style within my beats...An yes I have precoged beats an sat my *ss down in a chair an searched Imeem for hours in the past finding the right soloed voices keys even... At times I have a beat in my head for the longest mean while making beat after beat subconsciously I try to in incooperate my thoughts into these beats but it wont come out exactly as I planed I could be looking for a synth or an ezact vibration of a string then one day I find the right soundfont/ sample to steal one note from an my mind just turns on an out rushing ideas i'v had in my head for a while. this hasn't happen in a while tho... also after I have a colection of samples I can kind of remember tunes from each song an if i want to get creative I mix samples I'll do that after listening to alot of premo bomb squad or present day Marco polo ... All in all I can be very random... I am picky but i have a curious nature to see weather or not I can flip something weird as a gumy theam song, or barny, abc's.. or sum one tap dancing music isn't an ezact art..

Last edited:
Both, like I might have an ideal for a beat or sound and I will actively go looking for it and keeping an ear out for it, other times I just browse until I hear something that speaks to me... and other times I will actually be like "Ok I'm going to use something off of this random record"... have a couple of records and force myself to make a beat from each one to test my creativity... sometimes some interesting stuff comes out of that.... maybe I should be more picky though....

Back