Cant Get bass line Help please

H

highrise

Hi everyone ive tried for a while to get a bass line but no luck this is what i know and if im wrong PLEASE correct me don't be shy please thanks.....um for a bass line you would use a synth But i don't know what instrument it would be i am guessing a bass guitar for simple bass line for trance, also have the sustain on max and the notes would be C1 or F1 around there.

can anyone give me more info please thanks

wrong wrong wrong.... first rule when making music: 1. There are no rules. Don't limit yourself. As for basslines they can be any instrument/sound.... They can also go up and down octaves so don't limit yourself. As for the sustain, again don't limit yourself, it can be a really cool effect if the sustain is really low too... So I know this may sound corny, but just do what you feel. pm me if you have any further questions or hit me on twitter @jonnygifted ....... gd luck bro

I once got a nice bass line that I wasn't expecting from a tuned up organ on one of my tracks around the 2nd octave. So yeah, what he said, don't put yourself in a box

Any low sound will do: take a cool lead synth and play at the right pitch and you will have rich, warm bass sound that may work.

Bass notes themselves are centered around two ideas:
  1. harmonic: what chord is playing and what notes are in the chord
  2. melodic: how can I make my bass line interesting from a rhythmic and melodic point of view

Harmonic rhythm usually changes slowly in dance music: 1 chord per bar or several bars. This means that you can play the same note under the(se) bar(s). Arpeggiating the chord (playing each note in the chord 1 after the other) can provide some melodic relief from what would otherwise be a monotone bassline.

The melodic flow of your bass line can provide a strong counterpoint to your main melody. Scale runs, skips of larger intervals (4ths and bigger) provide the means of creating this melodic movement. Add a strong rhythmic line and you create a bassline that is compelling and impelling, pushing the song forward.

^^ what everyone said bass lines aren't limited.
- Find a nice bunch of low pitched "basssy sounding" samples
- play with em on your track to get sum nasty bass lines, whatever sounds good to you...USE!

You can get away with copying basslines from other songs too. Just pick something similar to what you are doing. The bassline is not usually a distinct part of the music.

You have to judge it a bit though. I'm thinking of the song: Ice baby by Vanilla ice which was deemed to have copied too much of the song: Under pressure by Queen, mainly because the bassline was such an important part of the song.

Copying basslines is usually not a big deal though.

EP

Check out Bootsy's Basic Funk Formula on youtube.

And the only rule is...Play it on the one!

Last edited by a moderator:
try to layer few basslines...u can also use other sounds and make them to sound like basses...and for ordinary basslines...use offbeat for start...then try to expand it with rolling basslines....

Back