**Digging adventures - post what you get**

Record stores are dying slowly. There are few good ones left. I'm lucky enough to be in an area where there are quite a few great record shops. But usually shops aren't really the best places to dig, when it comes to the wallet and getting deals (most of them know their shit and therefor price accordingly). I go to record stores to buy stuff that's a little more hard to find and/or to buy something I want in mint condition.

The best places to hit for deals are flea markets, thrift/charity shops, antique stores, garage sales, estate sales, craigslist, used book stores, classifieds/want ads, your family,friends,and their family etc etc etc. These are all places where diggers can and should do the most damage. You need to frequent these places.

Digging is all about being persistent. You can't just call it quits on a place or source just because there wasn't much there one time. You never know when someone is going to drop of some gems and you want to be the first person there when it happens. The good stuff goes quick!

LMAO. You for yall that crate digg, where do yall get your vinyl from? In ATL, there were a few record shops, but outside of L.A., Cali is weak.
I am in the Seattle area there are quite a few good record stores. Otherwise I hit ebay.

LMAO. You for yall that crate digg, where do yall get your vinyl from? In ATL, there were a few record shops, but outside of L.A., Cali is weak.

where you at? in ATL you can hit up garage sales and swap meets on the south side and find some classic shit.

in LA there are big swap meets and flea markets in long beach and pasadena, or you can check out craigslist and look for garage sales.

if there is a specific piece of vinyl you want in LA you can try amoeba music in hollywood. they have just about everything. you'll pay for it though. i paid $10 at amoeba for a single tower of power LP. meanwhile i hit up a garage sale in the suburbs and walked away with 4 crates full of stuff from the 80s going back to the 40s for $100. garage sales are where its at.

the other thing is, and this is just me running off at the mouth so pay no mind, that pretty much every mainstream soul and R&B record has been scanned hard by producers of all levels for samples. the temps, four tops, bobby womack, o'jays, all of that classic shit has been hit hard. go outside the box, look at old country and gospel music. shit like marty robbins or tennessee ernie ford. look for old school latin music, too. just my random thoughts.

Last edited:
where you at? in ATL you can hit up garage sales and swap meets on the south side and find some classic shit.

in LA there are big swap meets and flea markets in long beach and pasadena, or you can check out craigslist and look for garage sales.

if there is a specific piece of vinyl you want in LA you can try amoeba music in hollywood. they have just about everything. you'll pay for it though. i paid $10 at amoeba for a single tower of power LP. meanwhile i hit up a garage sale in the suburbs and walked away with 4 crates full of stuff from the 80s going back to the 40s for $100. garage sales are where its at.

the other thing is, and this is just me running off at the mouth so pay no mind, that pretty much every mainstream soul and R&B record has been scanned hard by producers of all levels for samples. the temps, four tops, bobby womack, o'jays, all of that classic shit has been hit hard. go outside the box, look at old country and gospel music. shit like marty robbins or tennessee ernie ford. look for old school latin music, too. just my random thoughts.
country records have dope loops but are few and far between. One of my favorite flips however is from a country record.
the sample

the beat excuse the quality youtube f*cked something up during the conversion

just got them 3 gladys knight that i posted a few days ago. Bought that whole crate but need a way to get it home.

check out my new digs my favorite record store and the crazy rain i had to deal with to get there. I am a dedicated crate digger lol

Great digs yo!
I see you got that Hot Buttered Soul, you find a good deal on it?

I been looking for that Kool & The Gang joint for a couple months now, every copy I see is unacceptable condition for me.

That Barry White is on point too, might be my favorite album of his.

I used to have that barry white and me being dumb sold it the summer i started digging. didnt know the worth of it. That hot buttered soul was $2 at the record store I posted. Whats funny is I went there looking for The Funky Drummer and Synthetic substitution but came back with these.

Amen Brother is pretty hard to come across, I know the 45 is usually priced from $15-$50. They reissued it so you could probably find that easier for a cheaper price. But, I'm sure you could dig hard and find the OG someday. The album it's on is Color Him Father, which I believe is also a pretty hard to find record.

As far as records with famous breaks, find a list of the famous breaks and figure out what albums they are on. Most of these records go for good money though because of these breaks.

The easiest ones to find that come to mind are..

-Isley Brothers - Footsteps In The Dark. On the album Go For Your Guns
-Dexter Wansel - Them From The Planets. On the album Life On Mars.
-Donny Hathaway - Magnificent Sanctuary Band. On his self titled album.
-Jeff Beck - Come Dancing. On the album Wired
-Little Feat - Fool Yourself. On the album Dixie Chicken

You should be able to get all those except the Donny Hathaway for a few bucks. Last time I saw the Donny Hathaway I think it was $8.

11427707-a32

Haven't listened to the top left Stylistics yet, or the Ahmad Jamal, I'm kinda holding out hope for those two...
:smokinFP:

11427707-a32

Back