Flipping samples

F

FuriousD

I was wondering what r some of the ways you guys flip your samples.

Last edited by a moderator:
chopem up into as many pieces possible runem thru filters add sounds reversem pitch control fadem get creative add drums filter out the bass if u like da base filter the highs etc n always eq to getem to be quality samples and rember its hard to clean up a dirty sample but easy to dirty a clean sample

loop em backwards. that can sound cool...if ur willing to llop, i like to take say two or three note phrases & reverse em it can sound dope

what i do is chop the sample up into hits and make my own melodies out of them. like if the sample im working with has alot of brass stabs, Ill sample each individual hit and work them into my beat. it usually takes about 2-3 records for me to get all the instruments I need for my beat.

haha im not sure that would qualify as flipping a sample. what if the first ten seconds exactly didnt loop "perfectly"?

Always sample the first 10 seconds of a song and loop it.

said who?

do u read the september issue of Scratch, homeboy? Read the 9th wonder section! then u'll find out wat im talkin about.

Haha @ those who took my post seriously.

And yes, since I subscribe to Scratch, I read the 9th article. That's where I got it from.

Oh, and by the way, it should be homegirl, not homeboy. Sexist! :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Satisfy said:
Haha @ those who took my post seriously.

And yes, since I subscribe to Scratch, I read the 9th article. That's where I got it from.

Oh, and by the way, it should be homegirl, not homeboy. Sexist! :P
a girl talkin bout bein satisfied? u havent beeen to my place to know what satisfied is lol/ j/k

here is a couple of things i like doing:

1. sample something with a drum hit starting the sample, works wonders if you do it right, ive done tracks that have absolutely no extra drums behind them, the bass drum would be part of the main melody, the snare would be a part of the backing melody, etc etc. etc...

2. take a well known sample, cut it up and assign each piece to your midi gear (keyboard/mpc/whatever)... now try to play with this sample without sounding like the original. it can be done easily, keep banging at it and you'll succeed. the point is to take something overused and make something new out of it.

3. think of melodic samples (aka pieces of an actual composition that you've sampled not one-hits) as notes. dont think of them as samples. now try playing a melody with these notes.

you can see some examples @ http://myspace.com/lexxxluthor

get a 2 bar loop cut into 4 sections and reorder them all. this depends on what kind of sample you got of course

9th Wonder Says dont sample the first 10 seconds of a record sample police will get you lol do what ever feels good some people chop and the snare and kick some chop to the beat 1-2-3-4-2-2-3-4-3-2-3-4-4-2-3-4 and so on some chop like Soul Disciple and chop at hit points but yea the best answer is Chop them into pieces and use your imagination. What Up IMthatGUY

9th Wonder Says dont sample the first 10 seconds of a record sample police will get you lol do what ever feels good some people chop and the snare and kick some chop to the beat 1-2-3-4-2-2-3-4-3-2-3-4-4-2-3-4 and so on some chop like Soul Disciple and chop at hit points but yea the best answer is Chop them into pieces and use your imagination. What Up IMthatGUY

Where does he say that? I wanna read that interview, link please?

Back