Potential revenue streams from music (open discussion)

D

d_stone

(Disclaimer: I know that I don't post here a lot, and so probably not a lot of people are going to reply, but I still think that this is a good topic that deserves talking about (It's been hinted at or talked about here and there before.)

If you should think about different ways of making money off of your music under the wider banner of the music business then how many are there really?

The ones that I can think of are:
Selling beats (Soundclick etc, PMP)
Selling tracks (Itunes etc.)
Selling albums (Itunes, car trunk, live shows etc.)
Performing live (Big clubs, little clubs, events etc.)
Merchandise (Selling at club dates and online)
Music for adverts (Let's hope "Trap Boi Flakes" become a cereal so we can soundtrack the ad campaign).
Music for films (Scores and tracks with your artists)
Music for television (Probably just scores)
Promotion (Companies using you in their advertising - Probably won't work too good unless people actually know who you are).

Each of these individually might not make you too much money but if you were making a few hundred from several of these different revenue streams every week or so then you're making ok money.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to make money off music or just want to talk about the topic?

Well I just felt that it would be good to put all of those ideas in one place instead of them being scattered in little parts of a million other threads.

No harm intended.

Oh no ... maybe The Wizard is part of an Illumuminati conspiracy to keep a black man from making a dollar or two.

Let's hope "Trap Boi Flakes" become a cereal so we can soundtrack the ad campaign

You mean they only have those in Atlanta?! I don't know what it is about them, but that white powder they coat them with must be addictive.
I just wish they came up with a new prize... That purple bunny that starts running around the room sure is whack...

Interesting thread.

Subscribing to see where this goes.

Also. There's a gang of jobs surrounding production that go hand and hand. Engineering, promoting, and linking artists to labels or fans can make you a quick chunk of change.

Would love to be in a position where I could look at things like promoting and linking artists to labels but those seem like they're about having strong relationships where your word is going to carry some weight.

I guess (though I could be wrong) that you would require years of investment in building those kind of relatinships before you could really use them like that ... but it would still be cool to be in that position.

Of course this thread gets no attention...

Off top man I think a majority of the possibilities have already been covered.

I live in Vegas and we have tons of shows on The Strip. If you can score one of those that would have you sitting pretty for a while. Live shows (not music related but need music in the background)offer good income.

-Streaming music supported by ads.
-Premium content for subscribers/paying members.

Back