Weed and making beats?

I almost always get super baked before recording any of my material... On the upside, later on I get to watch everything I did, and sometimes I'm amazed by the difficulty of reproducing the same stuff. Like I play a lot better in a daze ._.

it helps definitely ..boosts creativity and inspiration but yeah.. eventually when your about 80-90% of the beat you listen to it over and over again and cant finish it lol

i used to do it all the time....i quit smoking 5yrs ago and its actually better making music sober!

I used to be a fking buddah head but now a days I just have a beer before I make a beat, never more than one though. I can't smoke anymore since I got a good paying job, it's kinda like Katt Williams said...

i dont smoke but i do drink sometimes while producing, usually have a few to just relax and focus but sometimes i end up having too much and just stare at the screen thinkin 'wtf am i doing'. prefer to produce sober otherwise..

It does relax you. However I have seen it work both ways...positive and negative. If you are a singer please spare your listeners the headache and don't "blaze up" before a performance...It doesn't make you sound good. As a producer if your skilled at what you do smoking shouldn't effect your train of thought that much. But in all honesty I would recommend not starting the habit of smoking and working on music. The more your mind is focused and clear the better your beats and music will sound.

i smoke all the time. im only 18, so im kinda young but the problem i have with smoking is i get distracted. for example i just got a maschine, but im high as hell right now and wanted to check this website for tutorials and somehow i got here. but i also have ADD lol

i blaze everytime and i do think it unlock something inside of you. but it is a drug!!!!!!!!! and if you can make good beats with out it then dont do it brother. yoooooooooooooou willl get lazy

I have had a few friends who don't smoke weed anymore that they thought they made better beats while high (just like you think you can drive better while drunk) They say it's not that you can make better beats, it's that you "feel" the music more when your under the influence. In the end, the marijuana is inhibiting your brain and this can have a negative effect.

In my opinion using weed every once and awhile and making a beat is fine, but all the time is a bad idea. Your putting your vices and passion in the same basket.

All in all, music is a drug. Use it

i usually work multiple hours at a time, take 1-3 days off a week. after a few hours if i'm getting restless i'll blaze, also when mastering it definitely helps. as far as making the beat it can help but isn't necessary, i always blaze when mastering though as it gives me a slightly better ear for sound quality.

i don't smoke weed while in production. I want to be alert, pay attention, and focus. Weed just makes me do other stuff like get on twitter, on get on the cpu

I prefer to be high for writing lyrics and to get the skeleton of a beat started. But, I prefer to drink while I'm doing the technical tweaks in production.

I enjoy that you have a soild method figured out with it. Kind idea-and I thank you. I shall try that for I agree, I can get going on sounds and general structure while I'm blazed, but have to do the PRODUCTION work is when I need to "sober up" from that 'ish. Or I'll sit there for 2 hours as said, and think I have created a master work just to sober up and find I've only created 8 bars. Um.....;-) Happens to the BEST of us though. ;-)

Beats I made on ganja, were ****ing dope.

The beats I make while sober are usually ****in trash. Not only that they are stiff.

THC and Me.

always high when producing, or at least on one of many edits anyway hehe, helps get the creativity to flow,

cue inspiration heheh

Last edited:
i think im done smoking weed, i think i have more concentrations not high but in all actuality its just perception. you ever see the family guy episode when louis and peter were on stage high and singer. to them they were great to everyone else they were horrible. Smoking weed wont make you a dope producer. MAybe lend some creativity but it gives me a.d.d and makes me tired. I need my energy.

Back