What does a rock producers do?

Arrange studio sessions
keep the band together for the album
provides a creative direction for the album or at least keeps the bands direction within focus.
handles the budget
hires songwriters
usually has the final say over what makes the album

look up butch vid, rick ruban but u know his rap stuff look to his rock stuff, alan moulder and flood,

they are THE best period in that genera

Think of a record producer as the head or director of a team of creative individuals. It's all about people management and getting the creativity to flow in the right situations. I wouldn't consider a producer who just mixes, a producer. That's an engineer. Even though they don't always get a written credit for it, a huge part is arranging and helping the songwriting process. George Martin co-wrote tons of the Beatles stuff. Mark Ronson wrote a lot of Amy Winehouse's stuff on Back To Black.

Last edited:
Think of a record producer as the head or director of a team of creative individuals. It's all about people management and getting the creativity to flow in the right situations. I wouldn't consider a producer who just mixes, a producer. That's an engineer. Even though they don't always get a written credit for it, a huge part is arranging and helping the songwriting process. George Martin co-wrote tons of the Beatles stuff. Mark Ronson wrote a lot of Amy Winehouse's stuff on Back To Black.

this thread is over 3 years old lol

People need to stop limiting art with titles. Some Rock producers do nothing, don't press on button, just tell people to redo their vocals or tell the engineer to pan the hats this way and the lead guit that way.

Others may be the lead singer/guitarist, and songwriter in the band and just step up to go the extra mile.

There's a million other scenarios between the two, same as any other genre.

And yes. Even some Rock is done over 2 tracked "beats" someone "produced" without ever being in the room like a Pop or Hip hop song. It's been done by Jewel, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Pink, AFI, White Stripes, Maroon 5, and I'm willing to make a bet from her sound, Katy Perry.

Really well said, I 100% agree!

Yeah. Seriously.

All these contain elements from drum machine, keyboard, and a track or two of live sounds(drums/guitar). Ironically P!nk's joint is the only one produced completely on a keyboard while the Mos Def Jim Jones joint incorporated more live sound than any other one...go figure.

I'm pretty sure I'm hearing real guitar and strings in this...never know thanks to vstis these days though.

I think too many people on this site produce from their bedroom. No offense intended, I produce from my home my damn self. But when you get out into REAL recording environments, you link with guitarists, violinists, drummers, people who play f**kin HARMONICA, and they can contribute to a track before it's FINISHED. So even a hip hop session can be smothered in the same elements a rock and roll song would have, it's more common than not.

Don't f**k it up cause Lex had a good run, I wouldn't be surprised if he "pulls a Kanye" and goes on from being "hands on" to relying on other musicians to fill in his work as well, you can hear in his newer stuff he's looking for more than that "FL Studio" sound.

Last edited:
I was mentored by a keyboard player/main producer for a self-proclaimed Black Metal band, & he starts most of their music out on his NeKo, works w/ the guitar player on songs, & then takes it to the rest of the band to learn & make it their own for performances/recordings

you can't be serious. They may not get the same splits(depending on how big the producer is), but they sell a shytload more records...well...maybe not in 2012. Lol, maybe you are right after all.

Back