Understanding EQ / Everthing in its own space

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it sounds perfect to you on your monitors, but bad when u mixdown to a WAV, you need to make sure you're mixing into the correct type of wav, or u may need a new set of speakers.

not enough to have good monitors, you have to realize you've set your ish up to sound good in your untreated environment, reflections and all, so the result will be less than ideal.

my room is horrible but i set up things (unintentionally) that sh!t sounds right but truth is i have way too much bass, and when i try to compensate i end up with too much high end.

i'm not a great mixer (but i'm better on an actual mixing board for whatever reason) so i try to find the best compromise until i improve my situation.

Hi.

I've read this topic but lol I dont understand it completely.

I wonder if anybody could do the screens with the eq for example lead, piano and hats.
For example in the waves parametric eq.

Im sure it will be the best guide. If I could see how to do one I will do other myself.

Please try.

Tim20 said:
So exlcuding the kick and bass which you held back at below 50 hz you have, not including the snare, toms and cymbals, about 5 instruments that you really need to deal with.
:cheers:

An additional thought. For some genres, especially urban/hip hop, one area that really requires carve out IS down around the kicks and bass. They can easily cancel each other out. Boosting and cutting the kicks and basses can help to prevent a muddy muggle of low noise. In hip hop, we generally stack kicks, sometimes three. A round body, a "knock" and a 808 sub. Then there is the bass itself. So as with the other instruments and samples in the middle ranges, cleaning up the bottom can also help.

Very good information!!! I just started producing again, and this has always been a problem area for me... Can't wait to try some of these guidelines and hopfully get positive results...

Thanks!!!

This is very helpful......I love this site........Its so real about making music......unlike other sites.....Imma read this over and over until it becomes part of me....Thanks For the Tips.....B.K.

i fully agree wit u...I kno first hand...I used to spend countless hours reading about how to mix and what to master with...but all u need to do is learn what the eq and the effects and dynamics are capable of doin to the raw sound that u first have. Once u kno what a gate does or what reverb can do to a sound you can create your on mix that sounds good to the ear. Cause thats what it is ...making the sounds have that unison that creates that harmony for the ear...Deep but not too deep..jus keepin it real

Malmagik
Beat Boy Productions,LLC.

Man, this is a great collection of mixing info. Thanks to all who were involved in setting up and contributing to this thread. ;)

im not sure if this has been mentioned, but i will anyway, just 2 important frequencies for you to know and understand

85hz and 2500hz

the reason being,

around 85hz= the frequency your chest cavity resonates at.
around 2500hz= the frequency your ear canal resonates at.

so why is this useful to know?

well, if you play want your tune played in a large environment, such as a club, with a large sound system, you can EQ your bass to give the 85h area a little boost, while this is barely audible, you would certainly feel it in a club situation, you know how those times youve felt your insides turning from bass? thats 85hz.

so what about 2.5khz, you know if you have a hat/cymbal, or other high frequency sound that seems so much higher in the mix than it appears it should be from the level its generating?

thats because your ears are hyper sensetive to 2.5khz, its dangerous, in fact, nearly every single speaker made is dipped in this area for that very reason, it could deafen you.

you know that try using a pure sine wave, play it from 0hz up to 20khz slowly, youll notice it gets louder and louder as you get closer to 2.5khz. and then quieter again, as this is the frequency your ears are most sensetive to.

so if your hats are too loud, try applying a dip at around 2.5khz, rather than dropping the whole level, youll find it gives your track a little more ease of listening.

I mainly write songs and arrange music I have been mixing for over 7 years now and just like your talent of singing,rapping,and or production.... mixing is an art If you are interested in my services email me or hit me up on AIM my screename is dgmusicgroup for a sample of what I have done mixing wise hit up my signature........ I also offer my vocal services for hooks and or verses everything is via internet and via paypal ....Thanks for your time and keep on striving for greatness people....... it only takes one hit and your in

Omg

I have never been soooo into EQ. I will re-do all my "hitz" !!! Thanks for the quality information! Awsome job!!!!!!!!!

PS: It seems like music creation isnt all about tallent, it needs lotsa work and reading :)

Ok usualy i do only good volume and pan editing with sum reverb if needed. I usualy dont do EQ cause i didnt have an idea how to do it (till now) BUT! I gotta a question - I read that sum instruments should be in particular frequencie areas and after that u apply sum examples for wich frequencies to tweak so we can get the best of a sound. But my question is how can i keep an instrument in that area when u suggest tweakin it in different freq. areas (im not sure u understand my question) I was wondering if u apply the first explanation for the whole mix..like doin EQ on mp3 or sumtin and the other ones are for the separate eq-ing of each track in the mixer ? And i also i dont understand whats the purpose of the Chorus efect - it usualy ruins my sound so i dont use it.
I olso see that they are people that say that if i make good paning and volume editing i may not need EQ ? Is that right?

Last edited:
Hi all,
All I can say is wow to the response to this thread. Been going for almost 5 years. I have been away for over 1 year, I lost my house and studio to a major fire, and I am just getting back to a normal life. It will be a few more months before the studio will be up and running and I might have to go back and read up on my own work as well as the other great contributors, because what you don't use you lose and after over 1 year of not touching a mixer or instrument I feel like I am just starting all over again.

I do look forward to getting back into mixing and recording.

tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back