Ableton Live vs Fruity Loops - Ableton Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
How Do U Actually Use A Mouse (No MIDI Controller) to make a beat on Albeton... Would It Suite Hiphop? Does Any1 Got An Example? Are There Any Other Soft Studios Out There Other Than Reason and Fruity???

when i tried the demo of ableton i was like where do i make the beat and tried it for a week and didnt get on well with it but i liked the plugins.

Mattman04 said:
Keep in mind when someone crowns a specific sequencer as the champ they are speaking only for themselves, and thier personal workflow.
Everyone has workflow of thier own, and thats why every sequencer has a differant approach.
aka subjective

The argument about what's the better software is lame. Its the guy behind the software making the tracks that matters. Use what you can afford and when you get time to purchase the other programs out there, use them too. But master the one you are using. That's the problem, who on here has actually mastered these programs. I'm sure no one has because these programs do what they do based on the user. Its intuitive.

I Feel You On That One!

matthewjames28 said:
when i tried the demo of ableton i was like where do i make the beat and tried it for a week and didnt get on well with it but i liked the plugins.

Exactly my point, I bet every1 has tried... Where the beatmaking at?

Blaqphamas said:
Exactly my point, I bet every1 has tried... Where the beatmaking at?

LOL...

You make the beat in the clips.... you make a pattern... if it sounds good... copy it ... put variations in it... stack the clips... hit record trigger 'em.... go back and tidy 'em up in the sequencer.

For all the people who don't understand Live, why don't you post some specific questions about it on FP? There's a million threads about FL and I just pass 'em by because I only use it once in a blue moon, but me and more than a couple other people could help y'all get up to speed in live. There's video tutorials on live's website and youtube. There's no reason why it should be such a mystery.

Can U Sample With It?

Darko said:
For all the people who don't understand Live, why don't you post some specific questions about it on FP? There's a million threads about FL and I just pass 'em by because I only use it once in a blue moon, but me and more than a couple other people could help y'all get up to speed in live. There's video tutorials on live's website and youtube. There's no reason why it should be such a mystery.

Yeah man... but is it suitable 4 Hiphop beats... what about Sampling?

It’s suitable for any electronic music production. Can it sample? Of course it can and it has some very cool tricks…like being able to record a sample, chop it up and drop the chops right into one of the samplers (this is actually covered in one of the first tutorials). It also has Warp which makes it real easy to time correct samples.

The problem most people have is that it’s unlike anything they’re used to…but to do what it does…it has to be different.

And you can just use a mouse with it, although that’s not a very great way of working. Just insert blank MIDI clips and you can use the piano roll to draw in your notes.

Give It Up!

metastatik said:
It’s suitable for any electronic music production. Can it sample? Of course it can and it has some very cool tricks…like being able to record a sample, chop it up and drop the chops right into one of the samplers (this is actually covered in one of the first tutorials). It also has Warp which makes it real easy to time correct samples.

The problem most people have is that it’s unlike anything they’re used to…but to do what it does…it has to be different.

And you can just use a mouse with it, although that’s not a very great way of working. Just insert blank MIDI clips and you can use the piano roll to draw in your notes.

THATS IT... I wanna hear what Albeton got to give!..

Post up a LIVE beat, infact we should actually have a thread... allowing peeps to post comparisons!

... Oh, and I'm not saying Fruity IS better... All I'm saying IS, I've heard people using Fruity DO better... due to the quantity of Fruity peeps I've heard!!!

Last edited:
My girlfriend could make a hot beat on fruity loops...she has no knowledge of hip hop production, but she has made hott sh!t lol.....it aint hard.

Last edited:
Jus Messin Witchya...

BenL said:
My girlfriend could make a hot beat on fruity loops...she has no knowledge of hip hop production, but she has made hott sh!t lol.....it aint hard.

Her kicking Ur MPC ass on fruity IS proving nothing SON, duz it make her a better producer?

Jus means Fruity IS More User Friendly!.. And Fruity Beats turn out better than Live Beats...

Or when Worse Comes To Worse... You Have A bAd Taste in beats...
or women.:p

Blaqphamas said:
Her kicking Ur MPC ass on fruity IS proving nothing SON, duz it make her a better producer?

Jus means Fruity IS More User Friendly!.. And Fruity Beats turn out better than Live Beats...
It should be a slogan on future FL ads: "The sequencer even your girl can handle" or something similar. :D
People often confuse 'user friendliness' with 'not pro enoughness'. That's why FL has the reputation it has.

The more confuse, overpriced and complicated, the more "Pros" will consider it as a "worth looking for" tool.

.....Facts. try to comply. ;)

Last edited:
i used cubase, reason, logic, psycle, energyXT, and lots of others, and i can honestly say that FL is the best i found so far. (for me of course.)
and Ableton doesnt win.
i use Ableton when im playing live, i never use it to actually produce music.
FL is pretty good for me
i agree with sqito.
if you overprice something, and make it really really confusing, and make it look like an old DOS application like the impulse tracker, THEN people will say its quality.
but if you make something graphically attractive (like FL) then its not pro enough, its childish, and for novice producers...
well, i know plenty of professional producers who use FL for production, and they a pretty good sound.
all in all: Live for gigs, FL for production.

xtrordinare said:
when i bought my axiom there was a bundled version of abelton live 6 or something, still havent popped in that disc
Do yourself a favor and give it a whirl! I'm not sayin' it's the best, but it works for me. I make beats and I'm a DJ so I use Torq and Ableton 6.

phatpat said:
I've used both - btw fully functional demos are available on their respective websites. Heres my opinion:

Interface: Ableton Live has a cleaner look and is more intuitive to use.

Virtual Instruments: Fruity Loops has more instruments, but Ableton comes with gigs of professional sampled sounds eg. real acoustic piano, jazz guitar, violins etc.

Sampling: In Ableton you can chop up a sample and add the individual slices to Impulse - the built in drum machine - and then trigger the parts using a midi controller, very similar to Fruity Loops.

Effects: You get your usual EQs, compressors, and reverbs in both programs - however in Live the way you set up the effects is much more fun, using a rack like system.

Workflow: This is where Ableton Live blows away the competition and what its famous for. It quite a unique setup where samples, loops, midi data are triggered from a set of stacked vertical cells, and this then recorded (real time if you want) onto the traditional horizontal sequencing grid.

...so basicly you like ableton for all the features they swiped from fl... i dont know about the virtual racks but everything else is all FL

Big J Beats said:
...so basicly you like ableton for all the features they swiped from fl... i dont know about the virtual racks but everything else is all FL

Hmmh. Ableton Live, a FL Studio ripoff. That's the first time I've heard that one ;)

Drum Racks and Warp kill everything in every other software suite...

Guenon said:
Hmmh. Ableton Live, a FL Studio ripoff. That's the first time I've heard that one ;)

it doesn't have to have the same look or visual schemes, but would you not agree that the only reason dude said he thought live was better was for the same feature fl was using years before ableton... if the shoe fits...

phatpat said:
I've used both - btw fully functional demos are available on their respective websites. Heres my opinion:

Interface: Ableton Live has a cleaner look and is more intuitive to use.

Virtual Instruments: Fruity Loops has more instruments, but Ableton comes with gigs of professional sampled sounds eg. real acoustic piano, jazz guitar, violins etc.

Sampling: In Ableton you can chop up a sample and add the individual slices to Impulse - the built in drum machine - and then trigger the parts using a midi controller, very similar to Fruity Loops.

Effects: You get your usual EQs, compressors, and reverbs in both programs - however in Live the way you set up the effects is much more fun, using a rack like system.

Workflow: This is where Ableton Live blows away the competition and what its famous for. It quite a unique setup where samples, loops, midi data are triggered from a set of stacked vertical cells, and this then recorded (real time if you want) onto the traditional horizontal sequencing grid.

its all preference, the only thing in the end phatpat was loving that was so differant from FL was LIVE's "work flow" i don't see how his personal comfort level has anything to do with what software is better, i could make a dope beat with a Tupperware bowl and some rubber bands if i thought the work flow was better...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back