What happened to DeVante Swing ???

he's actually a producer i admired growin up....the drug thing would make alot of sense although i hope that's not the case. would be nice to hear his sound nowadays

I read in an interview with DeVante that Timbo didn't even know how to work a beat machine or any of that stuff, before he met DeVante. Tim wouldn't be where he is without DeVante. And Pharrell wouldn't be where HE is without Teddy Riley. It's like Teddy and Devante are the senseis and Pharrell and Tim are the students. And no matter how good you get, you'll never be able to upstage the sensei.

Last edited:
Javonte_Treble said:
I read in an interview with DeVante that Timbo didn't even know how to work a beat machine or any of that stuff, before he met DeVante. Tim wouldn't be where he is without DeVante. And Pharrell wouldn't be where HE is without Teddy Riley. It's like Teddy and Devante are the senseis and Pharrell and Tim are the students. And no matter how good you get, you'll never be able to upstage the sensei.

do you remember where you read it ?...would be definitely an interesting read

A_Eberts said:
do you remember where you read it ?...would be definitely an interesting read

Nah man, not exactly. It was a few years ago, though it might be saved on my computer. Don't count on it, but I'll send you a PM, if I have it.

I saw this thread and had to join... Timbo and Missy were on Diary Of A Mad Band. Magoo was even on one of the remixes. Timbaland was featured on all of the remixes for that record. DeVante did teach Timbo and Timbo's raw talent caused DeVante to step his game up. Timbo did ghost produce some of Diary Of A Mad Band, but some of the rawest stuff on there was done by DeVante himself. I can't comment on drugs and stuff, cause that's hear say... I can only tell you what I know.

Noblewordz cracks me up!

DeVante was the fuking man.... owe a lot of good music to this dude.

Devante blew an undisclosed amount of money from a boutique label deal he had obtained. Whether or not it was up his nose, now that's hearsay. Like someone said apparently people get iffy about you if you're even said to have a drug problem.

I'm listening to Dairy of a Mad Band and the track "What About Us" Sounds like a Timbaland beat. But you can tell that DeVante touched it up.

Timbo and Missy DID have credits on @ least half of one of the Jodeci albums cuz i remember reading the credits when i was younger, and seeing their name on half the cd... and Missy voice was the "chic in the background" talkin' on a lotta records...

Jodeci lived the fast life and loved it man... u already know about K-Ci and Mary J... Devante had 11 cars @ the time he filed for bankruptcy... and them niggaz was livin' it up w/ Death Row when they were @ their peak, so u know everyday was a(in Bill Cosby voice) parrr-taayy!!!

As far as I know, the coke rumours stem from the 2001 BET Awards, when Jodeci Presented Outkast. From what I heard, he had a motorcycle accident earlier that day, and was hospitalized, and the painkillers had him twitching and stuff.

Here's a recent vid of him talkin about the Chris Brown situation, he looks pretty normal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_ukqRN2ok

I heard he got blacklisted because Elektra gave him $1 Million for his own label, but he couldn't recoup it.

Also burned bridges....he had Suge Knight force Andre Harrell to restructure their contracts, on some "Big Red" Five Heartbeats type ish...lol

Shortly after "All Eyez On Me" dropped, he caught on that Suge was skimming money too, and severed all ties, Suge wasn't too pleased about that...

well devante did discovere flo-rida
Also Keyshia Cole....he has a studio out in SF Valley and develops artists out there.

Alot of people say, since he's blacklisted and can't do anything under his own name, he ghosts for other people, I wouldn't doubt that.

Man he got a face tat.... shyt he must still be making stuff or doing something. Or that Jodeci royalty money must be lovely.

I heard he got blacklisted because Elektra gave him $1 Million for his own label, but he couldn't recoup it.

Also burned bridges....he had Suge Knight force Andre Harrell to restructure their contracts, on some "Big Red" Five Heartbeats type ish...lol

Shortly after "All Eyez On Me" dropped, he caught on that Suge was skimming money too, and severed all ties, Suge wasn't too pleased about that...

Also Keyshia Cole....he has a studio out in SF Valley and develops artists out there.

Alot of people say, since he's blacklisted and can't do anything under his own name, he ghosts for other people, I wouldn't doubt that.

That's exactly what 2 OG producers told me when we were having a convo (them lecturing me busta rhymes style lol) about him one day. Like to the "t" I just didn't want to be the 1st to put it out there. Never know which circles are the only ones that know something, you know?

Was about to post something about him. Definitely defined that era and i have yet to hear someone as great on the song-making tip since him. This guy is a beast for anybody who dont know. Hes forever in my top 5. Everything you hear on those jodeci albums came straight from his brain, everything. Real genius's dont brag about being a genius. I wish he would come back but he made his mark with those classics so hes good.

This is what happened to him:
http://www.njs4ever.com/?pageId=528

Was about to post something about him. Definitely defined that era and i have yet to hear someone as great on the song-making tip since him. This guy is a beast for anybody who dont know. Hes forever in my top 5. Everything you hear on those jodeci albums came straight from his brain, everything. Real genius's dont brag about being a genius. I wish he would come back but he made his mark with those classics so hes good.

This is what happened to him:
http://www.njs4ever.com/?pageId=528

this pretty much sums it all up :cheers:

Back