Rumor: Dame Dash signing Currency & Jay Electronica?

Dame gets a lot of co-signs...

Even Russell Simmons had to give it to him.

He has the education and a hustler mentality.. not too mention his crafty than a motherfuger....

Shocked?

Shouldn't be...

He's still revelevant as you can see from the thread and the rumors. People still watching him and listening. That's all he needs.

As far as Jay-Z making him or vice versa... the student learns from the master..... figure out who was who....
I know one thing Jay had to learn about the business from being in the collective. Dame already had a commerce degree.

If Dame so much needed Jay ...he would of faded away. Or he would be struggling to stay up like the rest of State Property. Or maybe he'd be like Memphis Bleek?!?!?! At least he seems to know his place. LOL
Rocafella was built with E, Jaz, Dame, Biggs, Freeze, Sauce, and Jay. It wasn't any "leaders". In an attewmpt not to speak wrong...I'll attempt to break this down.

Selfishness made folk drive everyone else away. Then they drove each other away.

No one person created Rocafella. No one person involved owes their success to another.

There was another time when Beans and Cam ran sections of Roc. None of these guys single handedly built any empire. It's apparent when you see how far from grace they all fall once seperated. The only artist Jay can make big is himself.

Rihanna wasn't his artist.

Teairra Mari was. J. Cole? Tru Life? Peedi...Peedi?(Peedi Crakk, whatever he changed his name to)? Aztec?

Both Dame and Jay capitalized on making themselves look the "mogul" and be compared to folk like Diddy, Baby/Slim, Suge, J. Prince, ell, even Dee/Wah, Irv Gotti. But in the end, they always needed empires behind them. Kanye West made Kanye West. Dame Dash just had a little more faith in him than Jay. Kanye carried the Roc in it's last days as a collective, and even dame thought of him as no type of priority, he just supported him because Dame jumped behind every idea that walked through the door.

Neither of these guys are supermen of the business world as far as running a label. Anyone given an opportunity and being able to capitalize on it can be the next Dame. Even better. Clue started off in them Roc offices. Took what he learned, linked with Skane, and Desert Storm ain't never gone bankrupt.

Jay the artist is top food chain. Rocawear was a solid business venture. But Rocafella records under the split control of Jay and Dame was destined to fail. When others were involve before the 2 egos were left to clash, it was a force, they brought it down effortlessly.

Last edited:
Schooled, I can dig it...

That was informative ...

See, that what people should do...

You work as a bus boy...

Move up to a waiter

Move up to a shift manager

Move up to a head manager

Then district manager

So on and so forth

You develop the knowledge to either take over or leave and make your own business..

It's a natural order

Everyone came together and either brought knowledge or money to the table.

Buy joining forces you decrease individual cost and time or waste .... that's not an objective statement but hey that's the purpose of joining forces...

Dudes had to walk away with something beside a tail between their legs . If they did not ... SMH @ them....

When I got laid off... I left with a ton of experience and knowledge that helped me regain employment...

Gravy.

Now all be it .... Jay and Dame seem to be the only ones

Who made a way .... Jay more than Dame... but hey!

It’s been a depressing few years. In 2009, Mr. Dash’s marriage to his wife, fashion designer Rachel Roy, fell apart. Before that, in 2005, Mr. Dash had a famous falling out with Jay-Z that resulted in his leaving Roc-A-Fella Records. “I always looked at him like my brother, so I was just surprised that business came before personal friendship” he told me.

From this quote along ... looks like Jay knew something that Dame did not... But seems like he learned.

Yo Deranged, what's your point of view on Jay?

Why is that some people who have worked with him closely say "I would have taken a bullet for him, but now it's not like that anymore", why is that people seem to get disappointed in him? I vaguely remember that even Kanye expressed his disappointment in some form. Is this just a business over friendship thing?

Maybe people have the 'impression' of being brothers and family, and when the situation comes of making a decision Jay always takes the business route to further himself, IDK tho.

No such thing as family in a business....

People get pissed off too often for that and you know how it is for family.

Jay- Z said he basically got tired of cleaning up or fixing things in the wake of a Dash Storm. Looks like people or a person saw that Dame was a hot head and wasn't conducting things in a great manner and confirmed Jay's worries. Jay-Z got some sound advice.... and a way out.

Was it right ? I dunno..

Was it good? For him hell yeah...

You can dislike it but he came up on top..

If he would have been loyal to them niggas ...

He'd be a broke mule....

And then how'd you feel about him?

I don't know Jay. I've talked to him a few times, but can't say much beyond that. I've been doing music a long time, so I don't count on people, I know promises are made that don't come true.

Jay has the ability to make another guy who "knows him" less than I do(when I just said I don't know him) beleive they are the best of friends in a few convos with a few jokes, a few "I'm from where you from" discussions, and a parting of ways once he's gotten whatever he was out to get from you.

That's not a bad thing, it's a business thing. Charismatic businessmen get bad reps because they're able to convince you they're your friend, but once the business is no longer there, they look at you like 'why are you talking to me".

That's why so many old associates turn on Jay. Most of the time I side with Jay on such things, the only time it bugged me was with Beans because Beans was indeed a loyal partner and friend. The way he was shunned was surprising. But I don't know the inside story to comment, just what I see from the outside.

I don't know Jay. I've talked to him a few times, but can't say much beyond that. I've been doing music a long time, so I don't count on people, I know promises are made that don't come true.

Jay has the ability to make another guy who "knows him" less than I do(when I just said I don't know him) beleive they are the best of friends in a few convos with a few jokes, a few "I'm from where you from" discussions, and a parting of ways once he's gotten whatever he was out to get from you.

That's not a bad thing, it's a business thing. Charismatic businessmen get bad reps because they're able to convince you they're your friend, but once the business is no longer there, they look at you like 'why are you talking to me".

That's why so many old associates turn on Jay. Most of the time I side with Jay on such things, the only time it bugged me was with Beans because Beans was indeed a loyal partner and friend. The way he was shunned was surprising. But I don't know the inside story to comment, just what I see from the outside.
That makes a lot of sense, so it's kinda like a gift, that he has the social skills to make people take a bullet for him, but once the business is over he'll move on.

I've heard Donald Trump is like that as well, he'll surround himself with intelligent but insecure people and he'll make them believe that they need him and without him they couldn't go no where and it's all done by charisma, social skills, manipulative ways, even though the word "manipulative" has a lot of negativity attached to it, while the word "charisma" is perceived as positive.

I don't know if this is a honest way of doing business,I guess what Jay does is just playing by the rules. And Dame refused to do that, he had the "if I eat, you'll eat too" mindset. So Jay simply plays along until he has no business anymore, it seems a bit snaky to me.

My partner tells me "I'll always have your back, I'll take a bullet for you" and I play along knowing in my mind that I'll move on when there's no business anymore. :confused:

Maybe I got a wrong picture of the situation but that's how it seems to me right now.

Everyone treats "business" different. I don't judge other for "business practices" unless I know them outside of "business". I'll never make a good businessman because I'm too "friendly". I'll admit that I wish I could be more like Jay, I'd be rich as f**k by now, but some people can't comfortably walk away from a situation without everyone involved feeling they were treated the best way possible. I've always been that type person, so instead of being the shark, I tend to attract them.

Still all good, cause I've done this long enough to see them a mile away. And there is a difference between Sharks and Snakes. When the "feeding frenzy is over, the sharks are gone. They'll have dinner convo with you, but when the plate is empty, sharks go their seperate ways. Snakes are a different breed altogether. They never intend to share the meal with you, and even go about eating by means they know will leave you starving intensionally.

I'd call Jay a Shark, not so much a Snake. Dudes get mad at him when their food is gone and he's still off grubbin with a new breed of shark, but no one can say he took anything off their plate. Same trime, if you're loosening your belt and forcing down that last peice of steak before dessert comes, how do you live with looking out the window to see the guy who used to sit next to you at the table drooling hungrily?

Last edited:
Everyone treats "business" different. I don't judge other for "business practices" unless I know them outside of "business". I'll never make a good businessman because I'm too "friendly". I'll admit that I wish I could be more like Jay, I'd be rich as f**k by now, but some people can't comfortably walk away from a situation without everyone involved feeling they were treated the best way possible. I've always been that type person, so instead of being the shark, I tend to attract them.

Still all good, cause I've done this long enough to see them a mile away. And there is a difference between Sharks and Snakes. When the "feeding frenzy is over, the sharks are gone. They'll have dinner convo with you, but when the plate is empty, sharks go their seperate ways. Snakes are a different breed altogether. They never intend to share the meal with you, and even go about eating by means they know will leave you starving intensionally.

I'd call Jay a Shark, not so much a Snake. Dudes get mad at him when their food is gone and he's still off grubbin with a new breed of shark, but no one can say he took anything off their plate.

From what I hear about dude this seems about right. He doesn't seem shady but he seems like he's always focused on his best interest. It's like he'll work with you until you mess up and start becoming a liability. Dame was buggin' out and his ego was out of control, Beans and a few other State Property members were in and out of jail, Jaz was supposedly offered a contract but I'm guessing he wasn't feeling the deal. I definitely agree with shark instead of snake.

I got to hate someone to do them dirty.

That's why I could never be a great business man...

Shark definitely fits better, I used the term "snake" for lack of a better word, I couldn't think of shark.

At the end of the day they say the business world is a shark tank.

Dame got $10 million for Roc-a-Fella Records and $22 million for Rocawear, both are way more worth than that. Dame didn't want to be the sole leader because he thought when there's only one leader and something happens to him the whole crew will go under, but I guess he didn't expected his partner slowly moving him out of business.

Don't trust anybody and always watch your back.

Last edited:
Relax... none of that **** was successful.

I've never seen anybody rockin Pro Keds.

than u'r on crack cuz pro keds is one of the most popular sneaker lines RIGHT NOW

especially amongst teenagers and hipsters

And no one said Jay is great at it either, but in my opinion better than Dame. While president of Def Jam he had Rihanna, Jeezy, Rick Ross (its not his fault 50 ended his career), had a hand in Kanye, who did Dame put out???

Rihanna, Jeezy, Rick Ross are not Jay's artists. Jeezy came from Block and for the most part himself, Ross was already there and came from Slip N Slide, and Rihanna was LA Reid. Jay was a figurehead.

Aside from Jay, Dame managed Cam since the 90s, brought him to the roc and made him the only platinum artist the Roc had Pre Kanye-Post Jay.

He also eats off the whole dipset movement. Dame gave Sigel the whole State Property clothing line, label, and movies. if u didn't notice, State Property was pretty huge as far as clothes go back in 04. i live in houston and was surprised that an east coast line was selling out so fast every time a new shipment came in. the movies (as riduclously corny as they were) are still considered classics among wannabe thugs. SP had 2 of the Rocs last big singles (Roc The Mic and Can't Stop Won't Stop.) the first SP album was number one on the rap charts, and the second one sold better than the first tho it didn't chart as high.

He put out Paid In Full, the last hood movie to really make any noise outside of the rap world.

Jay used to hate the idea of Kanye gettin on the mic and cockblocked him, but Dame was the one that allowed him to do it on the Paid In Full Soundtrack (We Are The Champions)

Jay's good at investing, but whenever he goes out on a limb and takes a real risk it falls through. not because it wasn't a good idea, but it seems like Jay doesn't like focusing all his energy on one thing at a time.

Dame's gift is that he can spot value/talent from a mile away. his problem is he needs someone like Jay/Biggs to do the boring stuff.

maybe he learned his lesson now, cuz with that new spot he opened up which seems to be the hottest hangout for artists in New York (the rappers started calling it the 24 Hour Karate School) it seems like he's onto something. the question is, how the hell is gonna monetize off it?

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe he learned his lesson now, cuz with that new spot he opened up which seems to be the hottest hangout for artists in New York (the rappers started calling it the 24 Hour Karate School) it seems like he's onto something. the question is, how the hell is gonna monetize off it?
But what do you think is his bigger goal with that project? The article starts with "you can spend hours here and still have no clue what's going on here" what the hell is that for a business venture? A bunch of people kicking it, smoking weed, doing hippie? There are only two options, either it's a super genius idea, or it's a big waste, nothing in between. :cool:

than u'r on crack cuz pro keds is one of the most popular sneaker lines RIGHT NOW

especially amongst teenagers and hipsters

I haven't seen anybody actually wearing Pro-Keds in the streets since the 90's. Hell i haven't even seen them in stores since early 2000's.

^go look on karmaloop, look at the jeans/pants, and look at what sneaker damn near every model is rockin

*note* i don't think i'd ever rock a pair of pro keds, or chucks for that matter, i think they're pretty wack.

But what do you think is his bigger goal with that project? The article starts with "you can spend hours here and still have no clue what's going on here" what the hell is that for a business venture? A bunch of people kicking it, smoking weed, doing hippie? There are only two options, either it's a super genius idea, or it's a big waste, nothing in between. :cool:
Toward that end, he’s seen to it that he’s a 50 percent partner in everything that goes on in this building. DD172 is essentially an umbrella organization housing a number of different projects, among them Creative Control, Mr. Dash’s online-content-production arm; America Knew, a forthcoming culture magazine; and VNGRD79, the Web-design arm. There’s also a gallery on the first floor.

that's what my last sentence meant. "how the hell is he gonna monetize off it?"

Never expect a straight answer to that....

I think he plans everything...

The divorce to his wife and the foreclosure on property and the owing whatever to whomever... not in that order though...

I think old boy knows how to bounce back...

So who knows how he's gonna profit...

I want to know how he can afford it.... hehehe

I want to know how he can afford it.... hehehe
That's the same question I asked myself a minute ago. Dude went through so much and now he chills with young people and smokes a joint, living the life (as he said), considering that he actually owes money. It's surreal, I'm sitting here totally astonished.

His back then girlfriend Aaliyah dies, his marriage breaks apart, his partners turn against him, he loses a bunch of money, and now he owes money to other people, after all that sh*t he still has a positive outlook, he gets my respect for that man.

Live a Dream said:
all that sh*t he still has a positive outlook, he gets my respect for that man.

That's how it all starts and he's says or does something that you take a personal offense to.... And then you're like ...Ahhh he's an as hole..

Personally I think he just divorced his old lady cause of the debt that he had....
I don't really think they was beefing... Probably still hitting it...

But I'm afraid to ask him how he's doing all this...... is as much of a secret as it is when cats ask us how our mixes come out so clean .... (not mine... just saying)

Hard to explain...

He could tell us but really would not help us understand much....

^go look on karmaloop, look at the jeans/pants, and look at what sneaker damn near every model is rockin

*note* i don't think i'd ever rock a pair of pro keds, or chucks for that matter, i think they're pretty wack.

I said the streets. Is anybody actually buying them though. I'm sure a couple people are coppin them, but they definitely aren't selling like that. Then again i'm no hipster so i may be wrong just speaking from my observations.

Back