• Dot_Robinson

There is no available content written by Dot_Robinson
  • Content by Audiofanzine

iZotope RX 2 - The Swiss army knife of audio restoration

by ejmitra25 on 02-09-2014 09:58 AM When I started recording and producing my own music, the first thing of my concern was removing the “shhhh” sounding background or which we call the noise. The first remedy that I did when I was starting was using an parametric EQ. Cutting down the high frequency and affecting the whole audio part. I didn’t know about sound restoration and I don’t have any background knowledge on removing noise. My curiosity walk me through this product. I surfed the net for the solution of my problem which was the noise FIRST IMPRESSION (9/10) When I saw this on the internet , it was like “ wow” I didn’t knew that removing so much noise is possible with this product. So I decided it for a try. On that day I was using a HP computer ( 3.0 dual core with 2 gig of RAM) I used it as a standalone. It run smooth but the loading at the start up is not that fast. Its interface was very organized and you can see very clearly at the right side the tools that you can use for noise restoration. There where 14 features to choose from, some of my favorites are De- clicking and De-Noise. There is also a big display of the actual audio waveform for you too see where the noise or the clipping happened. COMPATIBILITY (10/10) I run them both in Mac and Pc It didn’t give me any headache when running them on stand-alone. I will show the comparison -PC( HP computer 3.0 dual core 2 gig of ram) Slower to load at start up using the stand alone , rendering is fine (not slow, not fast). same as when it is on plugin mode but crashes when 3 or more plugin is running -MacBook pro (mid 2012) (quad core 4 gig of ram) it run more faster at start up. Smoother and the rendering was 20-30% faster than the pc. I tried to run it as a plugin using Cubase 7 it run smooth for the first 2 plugins. Adding 3 or more will affect the playback of the audio I think it run faster because of its multi core support FUNCTIONALITY (7/10) At first, knowing what tools you will be using might confuse you because there is a overflowing tools that this software will give you. But after researching and watching tutorials, It will be much easier for you to use this software and it will increase your speed when it comes to production. This software consists of Manual and Automatic functions to tackle the noise. But I still prefer the manual mode because the noise reduction is more effective in this mode. What I like also is the freehand section, lasso tool and the magic wand its like removing a scar/pimple on a Photoshop You have to experiment and try to use the different faders and buttons to know really their function OVERALL (8/10) This software is for semi professional producers who have a little background in noise reduction. When you are a beginner I suggest using the Adobe Audition because there is a plugin there for noise reduction and its much more easier Cons - The price is very expensive, better hire a professional freelancer if you will only clean a few audio file (if your not into production) - lacks tutorial on their website Pros - Very powerful software for cleaning and restoring audio file ( you just need to be very patient - Lots of tools to be used to tackle the noise, clippings and unnecessary frequency

Fender Blues Deluxe Original - what else?

by marcofromtheshot on 02-09-2014 09:06 AM Old Fender tube covered with tweed super class. Of the mouth, and sound!

Shure SM48 - Beefy Coco

by marcofromtheshot on 02-09-2014 08:52 AM I use regardless of shure SM-48 and SM-58 microphones without distinction as songs. The record is constant, easy to set on a table, perfect for a live situation, at least for those I meet. It also happens to me to use it for recording, but I sometimes double with a zoom to get a little feel of where I am.

Jackson JS32TQ Dinky Arch Top - Transparent Black - A great surprise

by marcofromtheshot on 02-09-2014 08:40 AM Jackson Dinky JS32TQ Arch Top - Transparent Black, exactly: it was put into my legs in exchange for Ibanez SA series which is supposed to be better because more expensive, but I have not managed to get by me the setting the bridge. I needed a guitar "jam" practice, muscular but not too expensive. So in the meantime that the Ibanez is repaired and resold, I learn to discover this guitar, and at the same time the Jackson brand which I had only heard about.

Squier Affinity Telecaster 2013 - Butterscotch Blonde Maple - A nice gift

by marcofromtheshot on 02-09-2014 07:06 AM Nothing to say, it's a good shovel. So either I came across an exception, or they were able to offer a very good violin at a very reasonable price. I got it by exchanging it against a violin with a friend who wanted to get started. The violin is robust, just enough precision and it is already very important! However, I did change three things: a 3-ply pickguard that I found prettier, mechanical (Arf!) And a metal jack plate. Recently I changed the pickups.

Hofner Guitars Verythin Vintage - it's round, it's good!

by marcofromtheshot on 02-09-2014 06:51 AM I bought it in the 90s in the USA, a pittance (well about $ 300 anyway, but compared to what I had planned to put in a hollow body is that slab) and I discovered a great guitar made in Germany!

Fender American Standard Stratocaster - 3-Color Sunburst Maple - EXCALIBUR!

by marcofromtheshot on 02-09-2014 06:17 AM I bought mine in 1995 in California. After testing, comfort, class and pleasurable sound of legend, but I still had a small financial margin so I did make three small changes: replacing standard microphones by US Texas Special and graphite saddles and Installation a TBX on the last tone knob. I installed my original pickups on a silver Japanese Squier series.

Klark Teknik DN200 - My first DI and it is surprising

by dj ensoniq on 02-09-2014 04:37 AM DI stereo transistor, with the possibility of summing the two inputs of 1 Entry into XLR / jack combo XLR or RCA JACK OR output. Powered by 48V + your sound card or other. We can also put a battery.

Hartke LH500 - Good basis for severely poutrer

by moixjj on 02-09-2014 03:43 AM Everything has been said. Extremely simple, efficient, safe. Not beautiful. Personally I really like the 3-band EQ. I did not need more, I'm the big rock that beam. Stuff with lots of buttons I leave that to virtuosos. As I am far, I prefer simple systems with a massive sound and punches well in the mix. Head great cash my pedalboard. Connectivity is also minimized but it is just what I need. If it reduces the price of the gadget and the sound and quality are waiting for you, I'm for. We must judge the features for the price that I paid for this amp: a misery. the 500W transistor is its weight and is sure it will be increasingly hard for the technology to fight face to class D. But I like the sound mosfet.

iZotope RX 3 Advanced - Audio restoration at it's finest

by S2D on 02-09-2014 03:39 AM The Izotope RX3 advanced suite is pretty much everything you will ever need when it comes to audio restoration. It really does leave no stone unturned. It comes with additional features not included in the normal RX 3 edition such as a Dereverb module, Dialogue Denoiser module and plugin, advanced options for the Denoise/Declip/Spectral Repair /Declick and Decrackle modes plus the insight meter system and a time and pitch control module. It can be quite tricky to get to grips with at first, especially for people new to the concept of audio restoration and how it works it can be overwhelming. So what i would personally recommend is watching some of Izotope's own short but insightful youtube videos on how each module within RX3 works and what situations to use it in, then there is always the manual if you get stuck with anything afterwards. Here is a link to one the videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJTy2wi0pFg There is a module for practically any type of audio cleanup you need to do. The Dereverb module does exactly what it sounds like it does (as do most of the modules) and gets rid of any noticeable room space or echo from recordings - i personally have not had to use this module yet but it's good to know it's there if i ever need it. The Izotope Dereverb video on their youtube channel demonstrates exactly how and when to use it. The Denoise module is likely to be the one most people will use the most. If you ever have too much hiss in one of your recordings or consistent background noise, then simply select denoise, highlight a section of the audio file with only background noise (no speaking) that is over 1 second long and press the 'Learn' button, then go to the beginning of your file (or wherever the background noise you need rid of begins) and click 'Process' then listen to the magic happen. You can further tweak how much the noise is reduced by using the 2 faders to the right of the frequency spectrum to control the threshold and the gain in Decibels that it is reduced by. What you might notice in particular instances is that some of the vocal frequencies disappear in an obvious way, this is quite normal because often background noise can clash with the same frequencies of the voice, in these circumstances the best thing to do is try turning the gain that is reduced down so that the noise level goes up again slightly but those important vocal frequencies are given back. It's all about compromise with audio restoration and using the RX3 advanced. It can work miracles but not 100% of the time, as long as you know this going in then you won't have any disappointments. The advanced version included an addition to the denoise module called 'Dialogue denoiser' and this is a welcome alternate to the standard denoiser in some cases as it more straight forward, but not as powerful as the standard denoiser. The Declipper is a very useful module if audio has been recorded too loud and the result is a lot of clipped peaks and distortion. There are useful presets along the top, but the process is quite straight forward you set the threshold on the lefthand side to where you the de-clipping to begin (for obvious results set the threshold to -1.5 or more and quality to high) then listen back to a cleaner, less distorted result most of the time. The Declick and Decrackle modules are excellent at removing digital clicks that can occur when using a cheap or faulty usb interface for recording, or for old crackly tape recordings you need to restore. The declick is very transparent and most of the time leaves no footprints, if you are using this plugin within a DAW such as logic pro then the multiband mode can result in some latency which should be noted. I would always recommend using RX3 as a standalone program rather than within a DAW unless absolutely necessary. Spectral repair is available for more 'harder-to-reach' areas of audio cleanup that the others might not be able to do, and there are tools along the middle just below the frequency spectrum that you can use to clear up sections shown on the spectrum yourself manually. The only gripe about RX3 advanced when using it is that it does take a while to process some of the modules, for example if you are working on a long audio file that's about an hour long, you can expect to wait about 45 minutes for your denoising to complete. If the denoising is only needed for 5 minutes of a 1 hour file for example then the best option is to highlight that full area on the frequency spectrum and hit process on that section, that way it will process the denoising in that area and leave the rest of the file untouched and take much less time. However if the full file needs denoised then you might as well get yourself a cup of tea and a biscuit while you wait... The price is also quite steep for the casual audio hobbyist, so this product is definitely for the hardcore audio enthusiasts and professionals. The normal RX3 version will be more than good enough for people who would only need to use it once in a while to clean up videos they might have taken or recordings on their phone etc etc. Overall the RX3 is expensive but extensive in it's features and sits proudly at the top of the ever growing audio restoration tree of products on the market today in 2014.

Zildjian Z Custom China 18" - Strong, powerful

by samara on 02-09-2014 03:14 AM Same story as the 20-inch version, but with a sharp and incisive sound.

Zildjian Z Custom China 20" - Strong, powerful

by samara on 02-09-2014 03:11 AM

Electro-Harmonix Knockout

by manuk on 02-09-2014 02:29 AM it is a double filter (1passe there and a high-pass) + volume input by pedal

Gibson 2011 Firebird Studio Non-Reverse - Pelham Blue - An original Gibson !!!

by Fred The Shred on 02-09-2014 02:12 AM Gibson Firebird Studio Non-Reverse Pelham Blue color bought from the United States in 2011, made 300 copies only, easel tune-o-matic, mechanical grover origine.Manche profile of 60's (slim type) 22 frets Corian nut PLEK .L'action is low and the bridge can be adjusted very easily, precisely and very smoothly (not true of all tune-o-matic). The pickups are coil tapped P-90, that is to say we can the "spliter" via simple push pull on the volume knobs. there is a general tone and a 5-way switch like a strat. A push-pull on the tone knob can reverse the phase of the micro environment. So there are a million combination of micro, in theory ... I mean in theory ... We are really at the crossroads of Fender / Gibson paths.

Korg SP-250 - Excellent choice for an student

by julian_r7 on 02-09-2014 01:22 AM I bought my SP250 when I first started studying piano back in 2008. As a student of orchestral conduction, I was looking for an instrument that could help me as a tool. I looked into cheaper options (such as Privia, some Yamaha, some other Korg models, etc.), but I couldn't find a piano that really satisfied me in matters of weight and feel until I found the SP250. The piano sounds are really decent, and the price wasn't sky high, so I decided for it. Now, when I reached this point I realized that, if I was going to buy an electric piano, I should go for the most transportable choice. I'm also a rock musician and I correctly guessed that, eventually, I was gonna need the instrument to play gigs. Sadly, even though the SP250 comes with a removable support, it's so heavy and large that it is practically impossible to lift by one person alone. It's also quite big, so it won't fit in most cars easily. That being said, its a simple, straightforward and resistant instrument. It has 88 keys and includes a support, sheet music stand, sus pedal (that attachs itself to the support so it doesn't get loose), mono/stereo output, and MIDI in/out, 2 phones out (which cancel the speaker). Not too many sounds (6 pianos, 6 e-pianos, harspichord, clave, funk clavinet, vibes, xylophone, nylon guitar, 3 church organs, 3 hammonds, 3 string sections/pads, 3 choirs). They can't be really edited, as the only parameters available for change are reverb and chorus. It isn't actually necessary, as the instrument has MIDI capabilities.

Gemini DJ PT-2000

by mosh555 on 02-09-2014 01:04 AM Acquired used there six months (the plate dated 2002 I think) I tried Technics SL 1200 MK2 and Reloop RP 4000 The Gemini behaves more like the Reloop Technics, the pitch is more accurate, the machine is heavier, a bit more powerful than the Reloop engine. What I like most is the accuracy of the pitch, what I like least is the plastic body (looks a bit cheap compared to the Technics). It is ideally suited for mixing (I do not know for scratching). Bought a hundred Euros, the price / quality ratio is excellent. With the experience I would do this choice because it is of robust construction (everything but the engine is copied Technics) and remains accurate despite its age. I advise

Marshall AVT150 - Flexible and quality sounding amp

by S2D on 02-08-2014 10:14 PM The Marshall AVT150 amp utilises 'Advanced Valvestate Technology' which basically means it's a combination of a valve/tube amp and a solid state amp. It delivers 150watts of power and has connections for an external footswitch, 2 external speaker inputs, a line in and an FX send and return insert section. In terms of controls, effects and settings, this amp head gives you plenty boosting 2 rows of 12 knobs controlling 4 different channels which are selectable via the footswitch. These range from the usual bass, middle and treble through to DFX mix and adjust for the digital effects section. The 4 different channels to choose from are Acoustic Simulator, Clean, Overdrive 1 and overdrive 2, these are also available on the footswitch as well as are 2 buttons to switch the FX section for Acoustic simulator/Clean on and FX section on/off for Overdrive1/overdrive 2. Along the top row of knobs/controls are the OD1 and OD2 section which are controlled by the same EQ knobs. (bass, middle, treble) and along the bottom row of knobs/controls is the acoustic simulator/clean channels which is controlled by the same (but separate from OD1 and OD2) EQ knobs.

Lava Cable Right Angle Solder-Free Plug - Do not buy

by ninoguitare on 02-08-2014 10:01 PM The embous sell by 10 with 3 m cable. I use these connectors may since about a year. Following assembly quickly the contacts became more on the TIP I have to try several cable types, but nothing was done even squeezing hard, installation and maintenance of a me new problems. J really the impression of having put 80 euros in the trash !!!

Elektron Octatrack - If Darth Vader had an infernal machine, this would be it

by astrolab on 02-08-2014 09:59 PM I will give a simple notice because technically everything is listed below. It's a sampler, an audio mixer, a looper, a drum machine, a machine sound / sound design create an audio and MIDI sequencer .... For me, it lacks (at connection level) as separate outputs.

Fender Champion 110 - Value for money? Beat!

by ddn on 02-08-2014 09:22 PM Well described by the opinion below (except that it is a dual channel, but that's a detail). By removing, we can see that the reverb is a small unit really springs, super poor: the entourage is really made of cardboard, and is based on a double-sided foam tape to peel over time. But that's the only fault finishing everything else is perfect, the machine is very robust, mine has lived a lot and it works very well. 25W power on paper, in practice sends really strong, especially since the volume knob is not linear and logarithmic so from 3 you pretty much max. Apartment at 0.5 / 1 is quite sufficient and very tolerable for the neighbors. It is compact, light enough, the power / weight ratio is excellent.

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2014 - Desert Burst Vintage Gloss - A sure thing!

by benben45 on 02-08-2014 08:33 PM As I am the first to give my opinion, I detail all Manufacturing Nashville USA 22 jumbo frets cryopreserved (longer shelf life?) Body: Solid Mahogany "Modern Weight Relief" (not chambered) Table: Maple (Grade A) Neck: Maple (60's "slim tapper" profile) Key: Solid Rosewood (no Granadillo for this model) Pickup: Gibson 490T Humbucker Neck pickup: Gibson 490R Humbucker Orange Drop capacitor (like the Custom Shop) Graphtech nut (graphite) Split function micro via 2 volume buttons 4-button volume + tone "slip" (read: "Waves" for better grip) Extended strap buttons (a kind of straplock) Verni nitrocellulose Mechanical Vintage Style Overlays "120th Anniversary" in 12th position to celebrate the 120th anniversary of the Gibson brand Sold bigbag soft overstuffed (not hard case)

Apogee Electronics Quartet - Nickel perfect

by astrolab on 02-08-2014 07:26 PM I was looking for a sound card with these criteria: - Very high quality converters - With digital input Adat - Stereo audio with at least 2 inputs - To use it with my iPad and my iMac - That this card to charge my iPad while I'm using it - Format desktop

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - Excellent monitoring headphones

by Alarrachebdx on 02-08-2014 07:01 PM I use it for almost a year before I tried sony, the akg, the grado beats (but it should burn them when making music). What I like about this headset is its accuracy (perfect for EQ, reverb work etc etc). Neutrality (all spectrum is well transcribed. Its strength, its very nice cord that stretches over several meters. What I like the least ... Well I do not know. Apart from its mouth can be dj headphones that could pass for a technics headphones.

Harman/Kardon A300 series Award tube amplifier - Sympathetic

by ycaflo on 02-08-2014 05:09 PM A nice look for this tube amp 1961 Goes well with Mordaunt Short Pageant Series 2. heat pipe for a not too bulky amp. To enjoy all types of music. 9/10

Sansui AU D11 type 2 - POWER and HIFI

by ycaflo on 02-08-2014 04:59 PM One of the most powerful Sansui amps have made in 1983. More than 120 W rms into 8 ohms per channel. Therefore weight of 17 kgs. A reproduction of great musical finesse. A very rare amp on the second hand market. Enjoy it without moderation. 8/10

Heybrook HB3 S2 - Unavoidable

by ycaflo on 02-08-2014 04:45 PM Pregnant very high quality made in England around 1984/1985. To listen without moderation on all types of music. Recommended amp: Proton, Sansui or tube ... Warning suspension hps medium degrade. € 15/16 in the net replacement for repair. 8/10

Fender Modern Player Jaguar - 2-Color Chocolate Burst - Worse than a Squier!

by boldaslove75 on 02-08-2014 02:57 PM I bought it by mail to 220 euros. And quite honestly, this is the worst guitar I tried. I already have a vintage modified jaguar squer which costs 340 euros so I told myself that this was going to be the Fender range above: not at all! The handle is sloppy, you must exit the file. But that does not matter, the worst thing is that the guitar does not ring. Is choosing a mahogany poor. Already empty, it does not resonate. Plugged into the clean channel, the microphones are messy, no sharp, flat. So with a bit of distortion, and that horror, that buzz in every corner, there is no dynamic. The vintage modified is 100 times better. This guitar is unworthy of the Fender logo. Frankly I do not understand his interest ... I sold 100 euros in cash converter ...

Steinberg Nuendo 4 - Excellent if you have the patience to learn it

by julian_r7 on 01-09-2014 09:56 AM Nuendo 4 was my first DAW, and even though I've tried other options (some of them excellent, such as Reaper) I've always returned to it. While initial installation and setup are fairly simple, getting the most out of Nuendo requires a lot of time. Not because it's complicated, but because of the sheer amount of options the software offers to best suit your working style and workflow. Once you get the hang of the basic controls and hotkeys, which should not take long, you are ready to explore complex edition possibilities. I never had any issues with any sound board (and I tried Nuendo on at least seven or eight different hardware configs) and while I've encountered my share of bugs and crashes, I've always found quick solutions all over the internet.

Tannoy Arden - :)

by sunce on 01-09-2014 09:40 AM Used to have it 20 years ago, learned a lot out of this speaker. Mine was from 1978. with old, almost dissolved foam suspensions, but still there was no distortion at all. 15" cardboard dual concentric beautiful giant, i was impressed immediately. By specifications, speaker was 70w (rms)and i had a big question mark over my head. Tannoy Arden in that poor state had no problems with Krell ksa 200 at almost full power. Just to remind respectable audience that mentioned amplifier works only in "a" class, so i find quite weird, maybe a bit speculative handling that enormous power with 70w. Everything sounded big, opened but firs noticed minus was the lack of 3d sound-staging. Sound comes directly from the speaker. We were not the first ones who noticed that this kind of speaker could be ideal for main monitoring, but with serious corrections (those appeared later)... Tannoy Arden has two speaker crossovers, but "time delay" is the main key. Lot of others in those days were producing dual concentric s, but those couldn't figure how to construct it for many years after. Time delay crossover measures drivers excursion because tweeter is fixed, and cant play accurate without it. Good side is that tweeter uses the same magnet, thus he can withstand high powers. Inverted 10cm dome behind high efficiency horn has an impressive pressure and details, but even with a time delay crossover 3d sound-staging never appeared. Arden can play with a budget friendly amps because of his high efficiency, but the lack of details will be obvious even to a beginner. After a while, we had to change suspensions, and that was a big problem without internet. In the end, major mistake, but that was the only way in those days here. We literally destroyed them by changing foam with hard rubber. All parameters lost for good, and we sold them in that condition, very sad... Ive learned a lot from Ardens. Matter of taste of course, but never bought dual concentric again. Also, no drivers bigger than 7". Big drivers are slow and they have lateral anomaly's due to a weight of a membrane. The most important thing learned from this speaker is how bad is to take a speaker just for being impressed at firs listening. Impression is not wanted before large numbers of listening hours. Tannoy Arden will always have his honestly deserved place in speaker development. He was a good platform for monitors to come, and still is a good speaker for those who are entering the wonderful world of a true audiophile knowledge. This is my first review here, if you like it, i will gladly make more of them. Kind regards, Sunce

Dugain Bone - Too expensive.

by Jp6l6 on 01-09-2014 08:20 AM I had bought there already quite a few years and that I had enjoyed in acoustics. Although I can not remember the price now, I remember seeing the same article, unmarked, on ebay.com (USA) at a ridiculously low price, unlike Dugain. So I was told of the gain, you do shalt more on my back and after having ordered in stock, I was sold. I still have it, just for my personal use but I still like it. Doing my job, I have ebony falls and have copied the model for me a Dremel accessories and two of the same brand. I like this formula in electrical but I came back to the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm.
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!